Exploding BenQ PB 8230 Lamp? Why? What to do?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Omer Ayasli, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Omer Ayasli

Omer Ayasli Auditioning

Ok here the situation, I bought a Benq PB 8230 XGA projector in June 2004. I had logged about 150 hours of lamp time on it when suddenly last thursday while watching Riddick my projector lamp Exploded with a great bang.

I took to BenQ repairs the next day and they told me that the lamp has a warranty of 90 days or 500 hr therefore they could clean the projector but the lamp I would have to finance and that BenQ could not do a thing. Naturally I was furious and called Headquarters of Benq in Holland demanding a new lamp. They are now looking into the case. I live in Vienna Austria and Benq reps. were not so friendly.

Now regardless of the fact who pays for the lamp I am in dilemna of what to do. I do not understand why it exploded. What if the new lamp I buy explodes again. The technician said that if projector are placed in a well heatet room or next to walls then the lamps may overheat to do poor air intake. My projector is in the middle of my living room hanging 1 meter below the ceiling and the room is heated normally. But it doesnt make any sense. Should have Benq engineers thought of these cases when designing the projector. Could this be true? or could my projector just be faulty?

I was also thinking of the fact that I have the brightness and contrast settings close to maximum from my DVD player and my Projector internally. Does this also cause the projector to heat more then normal?

So what sould I do? Should I get the new lamp and then start looking for a new projector and selling this one? Experts please advise!!!

Thanks

Omer

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Okay, some things are simple, others aren't.

Brightness and contrast settings will not have an impact on your lamp. That's the easy one.

I'ev operated projectors in poorly ventalated areas before, and never had one of those lamps explode.

In fact, I've never had a lamp explode during routine operation. I've had two fail like this. Both were during start-up; the arc had been struck (impulse) and the lamp was in the boost phase (maintenance of arc plus heating lamp, the most stressful section, and lasts for upwards of 4 seconds after initial strike.)

If a lamp failed catastrophically during regular option (like, say, in the middle of a movie,) I can suggest two possibilities:

1. you had a defective lamp, or
    2. something in the lamp/projector was defective and shifted, during the movie, to touch the lamp, causing a rapid thermal shock, causing the lamp to fail.

Now, #1 is by far (20x) the more likely of those two possibilities.

In my experience, a free-air ceiling mount like you describe is not going to cause any difficulties.

Question:

Did you have brightness and contrast maxed out to get a sufficiently bright picture? If this is the case then there is a very good chance that your lamp was bad from the start. In my experience, brightness and contrast are generally set fairly close to the middle (or, in the case of brightness, down a little bit.)

Leo Kerr

3. Omer Ayasli

Omer Ayasli Auditioning

Thanks for the response Leo. Im still waiting word from Benq Tecnical. Lets see what they say.

Omer

4. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

Did you put the lamp in yourself or did the projector come with it installed? The reason I ask this is because some bulbs you should not touch with your fingers. The oils in your fingers could cause the bulb to bubble in the spot it was touched and that could cause it to explode. Maybe the Benq employee who was building the projector touched the bulb in the process?

I work in television and we never touch the bulbs used for lighting. I have seen touched bulbs pop, it's not pretty! I don't know if this applies to projector bulbs or not but it *might* be the cause.

Good luck to you and hopefully Benq steps up to the plate to keep a customer happy.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I don't know the specifics of the Benq lamp in question, but many of the projector lamps I've dealt with have the arc-tube at least partially enclosed to protect against even semi-intentional accidental finger-touches.

In fact, the only exception that is coming to mind is the re-lamp for a Christie X5 or S6 projector, but I think they're assuming that if you've a projector like that, you know not to touch the sapphire window. (The rest of the arc-tube is ceramic, has heat-sink compound on it, and is set into a rather large heat-sink.) But it's also a 1.2kW xenon arc, rather than, say, a 250w metal halide...

Leo Kerr

6. Omer Ayasli

Omer Ayasli Auditioning

No the lamp came already installed by BenQ. Im still waiting on word from BenQ, lets see what they say!

Omer

7. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the explanation Leo. I have never dealt with projector bulbs.