Explain twinkling lights...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    At night or where its dark, somebody explain why spotlights give off those little rays that make seem to always eminate out of the diaganols like say up was north, you would see rays coming out at SE, SW, NW, NE... Why those directions?

Why don't we simply see an orb, but whenever

Just wondering watching the tree lighting ceremony tonight on WABC-NY at Lincoln Center....

Jay

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those lines are visible to the naked, normally focused, eye. I thought they were an artifact of viewing the lights through a lens or other medium that distorts the lights, or by letting the eyes go out of focus. Light passing through something other than air or vacuum can be distorted, most obviously in the case of a prism, but also by other optical media. That's why we get things like lens flare in movies, but not in real life. [​IMG] (The CGI artists on Babylon 5 actually went back and added virtual "lens flare" to their outer space shots because they looked "wrong" without it.)

Regards,

Joe

3. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Rays eminating from the center of a light source are called corona and are visible with the naked eye.

Stars and solar bodies have been depicted this was for thousand of years.

Lense flare is an artifact of multi element lenses.