Explain this to me about 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because front projectors still need to conform to standards. You can get projection screens that can adjust themselves to 4:3, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 via retracting. Basically the same thing your local theater does, just common width instead of common height

Given that the majority of films are NOT 2.35:1, it would be illogical to make a set for that ratio

And this is coming from an equally big fan of the scope ratio

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
2) When they invented widescreen TVs, what goofball decided to make them 16x9? It seems like the only logical choice would be to make it 2.35:1 (like the image I whipped up in Photoshop in my signature).
There are a multitude of reasons - some with engineering reasons, some with "spiritual" reasons.

16x9 happens to be what is referred to as the "golden aspect ratio". If you were to make boxes of all the major aspect ratios from 1.33 to 2.40 and lay them on top of one another, the single rectangle the encompasses all of them just happens to be 1.78:1 (16x9). Golden ratios and the like have spiritual meanings in Japan and hold great significance as a result. For example, a little known bit of trivia is that the original length of a CD was specified by Sony to be long enough to hold Beethoven's 9th Symphony which, for reasons I forget, has a great significance in Japan.

On the technical side, the wider you make a tube, the greater the stresses on the tube to hold the vacuum required for a cathode-ray tube. In the eighties it was determined that the 16x9 aspect ratio was just about as wide as you could get with technology of the time without the tube being structurally unsound and the tube imploding.

BTW - American cinematographers lobbied hard for a 2.0 aspect ratio, but the die was cast by Japan and 16x9 is what we got.

-greg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
And why don't they make front projectors that project in 2.35:1?
Because there is no software formatted to take advantage of this ratio. Jeff is correct about it not being logical to make this a projection standard. My front projector does 2.35 just fine within the 16x9 frame and with movable masking - just like a movie theater...

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I noticed in the theater I went to, they showed scenory of the town of Astoria, Oregon. And it was in a 4x3 aspect ratio. This was went I knew nothing about aspect ratios. But I kinda wondered why it only took up that little space on that big screen. Now I know. Someone used a 4x3 camera to take those pictures, and transfered them to film in 4x3.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones