Expiry dates on herbs and such

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by BradK, Aug 5, 2003.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

Being a regular user of herbs and vitamins, I've never really paid much attention to expiry dates on the bottles, seeing how they're gone long before they've expired. Today while cleaning out the fridge I found a half bottle of Ginseng tabs. Not sure how they got lost, but anyway the expiry date is July 2001. Is there any reason why these woudld'nt be safe to use? Anyone know why there is dates on them in the first place? Curious.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The dates are set to indicate how long the drug will be at its advertised potency, and expired herbal products are routinely recertified with new dates. Over time their potency will deteriorate.

Most expiry dates allow at least a year of extra shelf life at full potency.

The only thing I would really have a concern over are the binders used in vitamin production (tablets), but when these deteriorate, they usually discolor and indicate a problem. It's not necessarily harmful, but there could also be mold or other issues if the product looks or smells bad. I find that chewable vitamins tend to spoil long before expiry due to the sugar content.

If you have a concern, try calling the company who made them to ask if there is anything besides the potency to be worried about.