What's new

Expert Advice to Complete HT Setup (1 Viewer)

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
I could really use some expert advice in completing my HT setup. I would like to add a second sub, and find a way to improve my front stage. I feel as if my front L/R in-wall speakers, and center could be improved. I also agree that a second sub would improve the overall experience. Don't get me wrong, I love my HSU sub, and most of you would say just purchase another one, however, I keep reading about JTR, Rhytmik, and SVS, so I would like to entertain those subs as a second. I do prefer brutal honesty, as long as it's accurate. Please see components below:

Pioneer- VSX-LX503- Receiver
HSU Research- VTF-15H MK2- Sub
Def Tech -CS-8040HD- Center
Def Tech- SR-8040BP Surrounds
JBL SPII8- Front LR

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: Movies/Gaming

Desired Configuration: 7.2

Room Size: 22x18

Is the room open to other areas of your home: yes- Kitchen

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): I do have a budget, however, results are more important

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I also agree that a second sub would improve the overall experience. Don't get me wrong, I love my HSU sub, and most of you would say just purchase another one,

Hmm... "agree" with whom. Also, since this is [ostensibly] your first post on this forum why would you portend to know which sub we would prefer. Mods?

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
One more question: what is your preference for display?

I currently have an LG UH7700

Hmm... "agree" with whom. Also, since this is [ostensibly] your first post on this forum why would you portend to know which sub we would prefer. Mods?

Mr. Dirk, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to my first post on HTF. Would you happen to have a productive response to my inquiry?

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and if you want help, you might try to be a little less snarky.

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
What about your subwoofer are you unhappy with?

John, the VTF-15H MK2 is an impressive sub at the price point. I sincerely enjoy playing movies and games with it. I just started researching the other subs that I mentioned in my original post, and would not mind adding another one.

Thanks

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
...and if you want help, you might try to be a little less snarky.

John, please do not misconstrue my directness as being snarky, that's not my intent. I don't see the need for non-productive questions. I'm simply looking for sincere input.

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have a very nice sub, but rather cheap, in-wall front speakers. I'd be upgrading those to better ones that aren't in-wall long before spending more on a second sub. A $1K receiver with $120 front speakers is not a good balance of money spent.

The problem I believe a lot of people get into with subs is the belief that more means better. The only better is better. I'm the first to admit that I'm in the minority with that opinion. People love their dual subs. A $2K sub will always blow away two $1K subs of equal value, and a single sub can usually be made to integrate extremely well into a room, but it takes work. Sometimes it requires moving other things around. Most of the time, where people decide to place a sub is just bad. Sub placement is incredibly important.

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
You have a very nice sub, but rather cheap, in-wall front speakers. I'd be upgrading those to better ones that aren't in-wall long before spending more on a second sub. A $1K receiver with $120 front speakers is not a good balance of money spent.

The problem I believe a lot of people get into with subs is the belief that more means better. The only better is better. I'm the first to admit that I'm in the minority with that opinion. People love their dual subs. A $2K sub will always blow away two $1K subs of equal value, and a single sub can usually be made to integrate extremely well into a room, but it takes work. Sometimes it requires moving other things around. Most of the time, where people decide to place a sub is just bad. Sub placement is incredibly important.

John, thanks for the response. I do agree with your assessment on the JBL SPII8 in-wall speakers, they were already installed when I purchased my home. The challenge is simplifying the replacements by matching the hole size to eliminate drywall repair. I do prefer the cleaner look of in-wall front speakers, as opposed to floor standing, so I will need to do the best I can with in-wall speakers. At this time, I've narrowed it down to the Bose 891's, or the Definitive Technology DT8LCR. If I decide to repair drywall, I may lean towards the DefTech RLS II.

Thanks

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I currently have an LG UH7700

Mr. Dirk, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to my first post on HTF. Would you happen to have a productive response to my inquiry?

Thanks
We get a lot of suspicious posts here, which is what prompted my response. My apologies as yours appears to be legitimate.

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
Dalton, my honest, "expert" opinion is to accept floor standing or bookshelf speakers. That will improve things more than anything else.

John, I would not have considered floor standing speakers, however, I do appreciate your honest expert opinion, and I will do some research. With my setup, what would be your recommendation be?

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dalton, there are more speakers than anyone can possibly know, but one current line I know personally is the ELAC Debut v2 line. I tried out the B6.2 bookshelf speakers in my living room system and now am in the process of replacing the surround speakers in my main system with those. When I get full Atmos going, I'll use their in-ceiling models for that. They really are exceptional, and an incredible value. It's probably worth considering their Floor standing model, the F6.2 for your fronts, depending on budget. You could always try the B6.2 first, then move those to surround and get the Fs for the front later.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
John, I would not have considered floor standing speakers, however, I do appreciate your honest expert opinion, and I will do some research. With my setup, what would be your recommendation be?

Thanks

You're going to find a lot of folks throwing out their favorite speaker lines. Mine would be Paradigm, thanks for asking. I agree a million percent with @JohnRice to move past in walls and get a nice beefy set of floor standing. In addition to the others mentioned I strongly advise looking at Pioneer Andrew Jones and SVS Prime, But only you can tell what you like best. Go out and listen to a few at your friendly local audio store, if there are any left. =)

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
You're going to find a lot of folks throwing out their favorite speaker lines. Mine would be Paradigm, thanks for asking. I agree a million percent with @JohnRice to move past in walls and get a nice beefy set of floor standing. In addition to the others mentioned I strongly advise looking at Pioneer Andrew Jones and SVS Prime, But only you can tell what you like best. Go out and listen to a few at your friendly local audio store, if there are any left. =)

Sam, thanks for your input. One item of concern with replacing my in-wall speakers is finding a match for my deftechs. Timbre matching is something that I've read about, however, I do wonder how significant it is with a quality speaker combination.

Thanks

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John, I would like your input as well if you are inclined to provide it?

Thanks
I'd definitely get a good set of floor standing speakers. As others have said, we all have our favorites. My room is about the same size as yours. I use SVS Primes for my front stage and have been extremely happy with them overall.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you concerning the sub. I have a very old [but still capable] SVS model and am considering replacing it and possibly going dual at that time.

Gunny1391

Auditioning
Real Name
Dalton
Gentlemen,

I truly appreciate all of your feedback and input. I've already began researching some of your recommendations, and I will more than likely make the move to towers. I have some Amazon Christmas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Thanks again!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What price range are you interested in for speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks