Experiment with high level crossover worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, May 3, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I asked about a crossover here before and I was wondering. If I set my FRONT=LARGE and SUB=NO and ran my speaker wire through a high-level crossover, and then sent that to my subwoofer, would that work ok? I know its not ideal, but didn't subwoofers used to do that anyways? My receiver has a 100 hz crossover and I'd like to try 60 to 80 hz instead. I might even even run the low pass from the crossover into a BFD DSP1100P model or the DSP1124P before going into my Mirage BPS-400.

So I know a line-level crossover is best, but could I even make a high level crossover like I'm talking about? say with a selectable or variable crossover for high and low pass of say 60 to 90 hz? I would put the crossover right behind the receiver, as close to the receiver speaker connections as possible, because from there, I would still hope to connect to my speakers bi-wired.

So where can I find a selectable high-level crossover? Or would I have to make it myself like people mentioned earlier?

2. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

The problem with passive crossovers for low frequencies is both the size (value) of the inductors and capacitors. Large value inductors usually have a (relatively) high amount of series resistance, which would eat a large portion of your amplifier power, as well as degrading the damping factor of your amplifier. Large value capacitors means using electrolytics, which are the worst from a sonic point of view (highish DA). If there ever was an ideal place for an active crossover, subwoofers is it.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

[​IMG]