Experiment in Terror, Montana, Tears Of The Sun announced

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Naglieri, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

Found this over at DVDFile.

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has announced a June 10th street date for Tears of the Sun, the Bruce Willis action-fest that just debuted in theaters last weekend. Billed as a special edition, retail is $27.95 and specs have not yet been announced

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'm really looking forward to EIT which will be anamorphic and msrp is $19.95 - no exact street date
    i'm not familiar with the film Montana, although it too will have an anamorphic transfer- anybody have info on this title?

TOTS i believe is early june and will supposedly be an SE.

all this from DVDFile

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

WOW. I can't wait for the day when the DVD and theatrical release date for big movies are the same or extremely close to each other. That said, I'll be very surprised if the DVD and theatrical release dates for a big movie are the same.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

The short time period between Tears Of The Sun's theatrical debut and its home video debut (3 months) is indicative of a growing trend for films that tanked at the box office to get out of the multiplexes and head for video store as soon as possible to recoup its cost.

Successful films either box office hits or critical hits will most likely retain their 6 month or longer video dates. Chicago which had a December debut isn't scheduled until August and The Hours which also had a December 2002 debut hasn't been announced for home video yet and, of course, The Twin Towers video debut is way beyond the usual six month period.

5. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

$30 million is tanking it after only 2 weeks? I suspect it will finish around $50 or 60

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Robert, in today's market a big budget actioner starring a box office name like Bruce Willis is considered a flop if it doesn't open in the number #1 slot with continuing legs and an eventual $100 million plus gross. The film itself probably costs somewhere in the $60 to $80 million dollar range to make.

In contrast, the Steve Martin-Queen Latifah comedy which opened the same week as Tears Of The Sun is in it's second week at number one and scheduled to soar past the $100 million dollar mark real soon and it cost nowhere near as much as Tears.

7. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

according to boxofficemojo.com, Tears of The Sun cost $75 million to make and has a marketing budget of $35 million. So they need to do $110 million just to break even. yikes.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

After DVD sales, they'll probably barely squeak by.

9. Joel_F

Joel_F Extra

It'll make money, don't forget international markets.

10. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

DVD file had the news today. This has been one of my long awaited titles. If im reading right it hits 6/10. No extras excpet trailers but im happy anyway!!

[​IMG]

This is one of my all time favorite movies..cant you tell? *Matt does his happy dance*

Guess I have to change my sig now.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Then there's always this design (from orig. poster art).
    Note the rather provocative wardrobe donned by Miss Remick. Look at those... [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That shot is from the opening "garage" scene. But in no way do we see this much flesh aboard Miss Remick (too bad).

Just a way to "spice up" the advertising I guess.

"You've got a small waist...." -- Red Lynch

13. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Tears Of The Sun:I went with 2 friends to see this opening weekend. Very simple review. I loved it ...they hated it.I will defently buy this on dvd,but please......DTS DTS DTS[​IMG]

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

But David, IS that Lee Remick (or supposed to be Remick?)? It's kind of hard to tell with the hand over the face but if you'll recall Stefanie Powers as Remick's kid sister is forced to strip down to her underwear in the film.

In reality, it's probably an anonymous model and the photo an amalgam of both Ms. Remick's and Miss Power's scenes.

15. Runar_R

Runar_R Second Unit

16. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Experiment in Terror! Yeesssssss (asthmatic wheeze)! Ross Martin is great in it. Cheers.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer