What's new

Experiencing more telemarketing calls lately? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I never understood the whole "the do not call list is going to put us out of business" thing. The people that sign up do not want to receive your calls and do not want to buy anything from you. Plus, think of the phone bill saving from not wasting your time calling people that aren't going to buy anything from you anyway. They need to stop their bitching and moaning and find a better business model. Because nobody is going to mourn their loss.

John Watson

Screenwriter
A certain type of person (and many senior citizens) has a lot of difficulty saying no.

If these people can put themselves on a list, where they can gain some immunity from high-pressure telemarketers, then the telemarketers will lose business.

That being said, I hold no brief for the telemarketers, and wish them good riddance, tho I'm not sure this American law will do enough anyway. (As for the charity rackets, it seems to still leave them a free hand to harass.)

And as for the internet, and spam, a serious effort by government to free us from that harassment is in order.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone else having trouble signing up?

I went to the website, entered my number and email. When I received the confirmation email, I clicked on the link and all I get is some error message about how my registration cannot be completed because the data is corrupted or something. I've tried all their suggestions (cutting and pasting the link, etc.), but no go.

:confused:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't get telemarketing calls because I don't have a landline phone, I've been cell exclusive for about two years now. My cable internet access is expensive when compared to dialup, but $30 for the landline + $15 for dialup ISP vs $50 for cable internet makes it a no brainer.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I live in Australia, and I don't think we have a do not call list, we just got a silent number, which means our number doesn't appear in phonebooks or other places. Our answering machine just states " Hello. Please leave a message" and so ( touch wood )we don't recieve anymore telemarkters.

You could always get a whistle, and blow it down the phone when they call. However that just hurts to guy making the call.

Funny thing is I used to do a bit of telemarketing, but we only rang business. Still hated doing that.

Regards

Anthony

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Carl, fellow Hoosier - at least by physical location, just wondering if your equations add in the cost of the cell phone? And don't forget, we do have an excellent, and tougher than the fed's, no call list here in Indiana. It works almost perfectly for my home. (some very occasional hangups, but that could be normal misdialing for all I know).

d

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Am I the only one that signed up both his parents and grandparents, none of which own a computer?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Here in Georgia we have had a state no call list for several years. It cut my home phone telemarketing calls from 10 a day to ZERO. Now if there were a way to stop spam FAXES without having to dial those damn removal numbers over and over and over.

James St

Supporting Actor
That shouldn't affect me since I never fill out any surveys for "free" complimentary products. Hell, I never even send for rebates unless they're at least a certain amount.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Julian, junk faxes are against the law and you can actually receive up to $500 for each one received. Try junkfaxes.org for more info.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Per the cell phone comments earlier: I have a cell phone only, and recieve no telemarketing calls, other than a few per year from the cell phone company. heh. My number does get listed on occasion on forms I fill out, but not much. Last time I had a land line, I took the same approach with giving out my number, but got 5-6 telemarketing calls a day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

We have the same, called "unlisted," but many telemarketer dialers simply dial numbers in sequential order, or at random, so even with unlisted, they still may end up calling you.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
True.

My number(s) has been unpublished for more than twenty years, yet I've been inundated with these annoying calls for years and years. And it continues to get worse. After switching off my phone's ringer last night, I noticed the machine clicking and whirring a whopping eight times as I tried to watch my evening ST:TNG episode on DVD ("Sins of the Father," Season Three).

Malcolm, have you been able to complete your DoNotCall.gov registration?

Also, here's another one to throw down there with telemarketers, bleeding roast beef, station-bug logos, and Los Angeles tap water: those e-mail spammers who rig it such that your block-this-sender function wants to block your own e-mail address. I hate the tactics employed by those subhuman, bandwidth-gobbling, time-consuming, scum-sucking bottom-feeders.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

No. I guess I'm gonna have to start again from the beginning as the 72 hour window is closing soon. :frowning:

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Saw this at Snopes yesterday. They're not going down without a fight.

I don't see the point of them tricking people into okaying the calls. Are there actually people who put themselves on Don't Call lists, yet still buy stuff from telemarketers?

John Watson

Screenwriter
In a decent world, or in a system not stacked against the individual, it would be upto the telemarketer or spammer to get an individual's permission to send him/her messages.

We should not have to contact anyone of dozens (or hundreds) of places to ask them to remove our personal addresses or to prohibit them from selling our addresses to others. :frowning:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I got a call today asking if I wanted to subscribe to a newspaper. The lady asked for the "man of the house," and I said I was a woman. Said she, "you sound so young." I said I was 63. When I found she was peddling newspaper subscriptions, I said "I can't read."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks