Experiences with the SVS port plug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe-T, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering how all of you SVS owners that got the port plugs are using them. Do you like it better with or without it, and for which tuned sub? I decided not to use it because I have the 16-46 subs which I feel are tuned low and flat enough. I really couldn't hear much of a difference with them because I of course can't hear that low and I didn't test them at extreme SPLs, but the port plugs are yet another wonderful tweaking option that SVS has given us.

2. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Anyone? Any experiences/opinions?

3. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I have a pair of 20-39CS+ subs and with one block in each sub I picked up 10db of boost at 15hz. It only cost me a 1db loss across the upper hz range. This was in my room with my settings. Results may vary with other sized rooms. Mine is about 1800sq ft.

4. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I've tried them with my dual 20-39s. I took readings with the Stryke test disc and found that in my room they do about what the SVS graphs say. I lost about 3-4 dB from 20-28 Hz, but the curve remained pretty flat down to 15 Hz and produced measurable output even at 12.5 Hz.

So far, I find that I install the plugs when I listen to pipe organ music critically, but that's not often. Otherwise, even for Fight Club and Toy Story 2, I leave the sub at its original tuning. I certainly appreciate the flexibility they offer.

5. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Marc,
    Try this test...play the beginning of Unbreakable with and without the plugs. When Bruce Willis is riding on the train there is some incredibly low bass going on. You don't even really hear it but everything in my room "shudders". I didn't get that effect with my old "regular" CS subs. With the port blockers in I get a very nice tactile sensation during this scene. People with other subs would most likely never know it was there.