Experiences with Sprint customer retention?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Buzz Foster, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Time for a new cell phone. No, i am not unhappy with mine, though I cant text message, which seems stupid on a Palm phone...

But anyway, the thing is crapping out. It has an intermittent problem of thinking the headset is plugged in. So, sometimes it answers itself, and frequently when I am talking on it, or try to answer, it cuts out, and I can't hear or be heard.

What I have is a Samsung i500, and what I want is the new Treo 700p.

What can I expect when i call the Customer retention line?

2. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Just did retention about a month and half ago. Get a good discount off your plan, and then, talk about the phone (don't bring up the phone first, or they will cut your plan discount). They will make you an initial plan offer. Reject it, saying you could do better with other companies. I ended up with a good plan, and 15% off that, plus my company 8% discount.

They offered me a discount on a Treo, but I honestly don't need one. So, I got the latest and greatest phone for a decent discount. Write down everything they say, and get their name and number for call back, to be sure they didn't screw up anything.

It's just like car shopping. They can do better than their initial, or even 2nd offer.

Might check www.sprintusers.com for more advice.

3. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Thanks, Randy. I will do that. Also, what offer did they make on the Treo?

4. Randy Tennison

Randy
    I didn't need a Treo, so I didn't hear the offer. But it was the first phone he offered.

Sprint is really pushing retention and customer service right now, so it's a good time to re-up.

5. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I've always had poor luck with Sprint customer service. The people at their stores are never helpful and are often hard to get along with. I'd pay more with a different carrier. JMO

6. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

There's a separate number for retention, Jeff. You had bad luck with that one, or the standard customer service number?

7. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

They aren't so hot to trot today. They offered me the Treo for the same price as I could get with new service. They offered 10% off of my bill.

8. Randy Tennison

Randy
    Hang up, call back. Get someone else. Talk about the plans you can get from other providers (do some research. T-Mobile has some hot plans, but their coverage is not as good).

Never say Die!

9. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Hehe...I was looking at it closer and realised that she was actually offering me was the 15% off. That's as good as it gets on the rate discount, I guess. That puts me at $97/month for 2500 anytime minutes, unlimited text, unlimited internet use, no roaming, and free long distance on two phones. I suppose that isn't bad.

I did find that Verizon is offering the Treo 700p for $200 less with a two-year contract. How do they respond to price comparisons like that?

(BTW, tangentially related...I called DirecTV customer retention and am getting an HR 10-250 installed next week for $20.)

10. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Woo-hoo!

I got 15% off my bill and the Treo 700p for $299.

Thanks, Randy!

11. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Sorry Buzz. I was actually talking about the "personal" customer service I received in their stores.

12. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

I never would have gotten such a good deal there.

13. Randy Tennison

Randy
    Glad you got a deal you liked!

I've been having nothing but problems with their customer support lately. Couldn't pay my bill on line today. Called and was disconnected 8 times. They couldn't resolve it. But, they did give me $10.00 for my troubles!

Glad you got your Treo! Enjoy!

14. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Yeah, if I can figure out the mobile photoblogging thing, I will be having a lot of fun.