Experiences with Progressive car insurance?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChrisMatson, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My wife and I recently added another car to our policy with Allstate. I am relatively happy with the premium, but out of curiosity I did an online price comparison through Progressive. I was shocked to see that we could maintain the exact same coverage and save about 25-30% in our premium. The only reason I am with Allstate is that my parents used them my entire life and have always been happy with the service and rates. It was easy to stay with them when I moved out here to Iowa and rates are so much cheaper than what I was paying in the DC area.

So, has anyone had experience dealing with Progressive, or more importantly, filing a claim? Are they one of the companies that are quick to boost your rate or drop you for an accident?

Thanks.

2. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I've had Progressive in the past. Always very prompt about claims. At least in Ohio they have there agents drive out to see your vehicle a couple hours after you call. I claimed 2 back windows and 1 front window in my truck all within about 3 months and the adjuster( i think that's the term) never blinked. My rates went up mostly from speeding tickets more than from claims.
    And this might sound like a commercial - but you can do a lot of stuff on their website.

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I just experienced my first rate drop after being w/ Progressive for 2 years and making all my payments on time. I received a nice 30% decrease [​IMG]

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

When we got married in September I shopped around for new insurance (couldn't keep my old b/c I was moving). She had Allstate and we were quoted something like $2500 for the year. Progressive was $1900.

Also, I was rear-ended by someone with Progressive in 2001. It was 1pm on a Sunday afternoon. By 3pm, a progressive agent was at my house inspecting the vehicle, and I had a check in my hand by 4pm. That's fast.

NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE!!!!!!!

I have NO IDEA why, but make sure you get your quote two different ways. Once in your name with your wife as a second driver and once in her name with you as the second driver. IT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Regardless of the fact that I would be the primary driver using our 1 vehicle as a means of transportation to/from work every day....the rates were $400 higher if the policy was in her name. She has no accidents, no tickets, no claims. I have some accidents all of which I was not at fault. I'm 29, she's 27. Go figure.

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I got a quote that will be tough to beat:
    $100,000 Bodily injury, $300,000 per occurence
    $100,000 Property damage
    $100,000 Uninsured motorist, $300,000 Bodily injury
    $100,000/$300,000 Underinsured motorist
    $5,000 medical payments per person
    $250 collision deductible
    $100 comprehensive deductible
    $25/day car rental
    Loan gap payoff insurance

For our two cars ('92 Accord and '04 Civic)
    Allstate is about $1,300
    Progressive is about $900

I like what I am hearing so far. Any more comments before I sign up? Is it worth a call to Allstate to see if they will lower my rate?