What's new

Experiences with HK Factory Remanufactured AVRs? (1 Viewer)

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I'm moving to a new place come August 1st and will finally have the money for a full 5.1 system to go alongside my 47 inch Panny and RP82 DVD player. I'm pretty much settled on getting either an HK 230 or 330 AVR. I noticed that HK has their own online store that sells refurbed AVRs. I was wondering if anyone around here had experienced with buying refurbed direct from them and how it worked out. I also noticed that the refurbs are labeled with a Z on the end (230-Z instead of 230, etc...) Is this anything for me to worry about, is it the same product as the brand new ones? Finally, are there any big differences between the 230 and 330 other than the 6.1 vs. 7.1 support and power output? I'm probably going to go with the 330 but want to make sure it will give me a performance benefit (not just more features) over the 230 on a 5.1 system.

Matt

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Really like you said the only diff is 6.1 vs 7.1 and 50 vs 55 watts / channel.
If you don't need 7.1 just go with the 230....though I think the 330 offers a Zone 2 for other room.
You save yourself $100 that you can put into something else.

I think you would be happy with the 230 your really not gaining anything buy going with the 330 unless you are using 7.1, zone 2 outputs.

From all my readins the refurbs seem to be fine. Just verify that when you get it it isn't all mangled.

I have the 230 at home right now with a Parasound 5 channel amp. Not a bad setup. Don't like the blue lights though. You can turn the Dial Knob one off but not the Power on button. I may go with last years model as I like the all black look better.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one direct from them. They also sell them on eBay and often for less than the price on their webpage.

I had no issues with it. The -Z is just their way of designating the unit as having been refurbished.

Anyway, the refurbished units may have cosmetic issues, but they have a great return policy if you get one that's dinged in a way you can't stand. Otherwise, they have a pretty good warranty and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from them, if I was in the market.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
One I got for a bud was perfect cosmetically, but died 3 days into it. Three days in the local shop and it's been 6 months strong, no more issues. AVR125Z from Ebay, $202.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine picked up a AVR-7200 (their flagship) ans the left front channel was DOA. He pressed customer service until they agrees to pay for 2day shipping both ways. He got a brand new one (no refurb sticker on the back) a week later.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I have a factory refurbished AVR-225 for 8 months now and it works flawlessly. The innvestment on a refurb HK is better than one on a new lower end Pioneer or Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks