Experiences with 4805 and HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RaymondSteiner, Aug 1, 2006.

1. RaymondSteiner

RaymondSteiner Stunt Coordinator

I had been reading a lot of good things about HD-DVD, and with Toshiba covering some of the production costs for me, i'm thinking seriously to get a HD-DVD player (the cheapest of course!)...

But i have a question, i only have an Infocus 4805 projector, there is a good improvement over DVD? (I'm planing to conect projector-HDDVD with component cable)

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Can you tell a difference between HD cable/satellite/OTA and DVD? If the answer is yes ... then you have the positive answer. If no ... then don't bother.

Regards

3. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Hi Raymond,

I have used an HD receiver with my 4805 and was pleasantly surprised to see a marked improvement over my best DVDs. Pleasantly surprised- given the Infocus 4805 has a max resolution of 480x854. With that in mind, I'm allowing the Infocus to downsample 1080i broadcasts to 16x9 480p and notice the following advantages over 480p DVD.

1) HD on the 4805 offers true 480x854 resolution, while a 16x9 480p disc is still only 480x720, stretched to fill the 16x9 display. Add to that 16x9 DVDs probably have some minor filtering applied to reduce artifacts on interlaced displays. Progressive scan DVD players and/or extennal devices can not fully compensate for these losses.

2) Compared to DVD, I see fewer MPEG artifacts on 1080i downcoverted to 480x854. (With the right off-air HD source, of course. I'm sure HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be an even bigger jump in this regard.)

3) Color quality is better on HD vs standard DVD on the 4805.

The end result is I sometimes project my HD viewings larger than my standard DVDs. Why? Because it still looks good .. and I can. [​IMG]

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/

Here is an interesting site for those wondering about if they will see a difference on a ED type panel.

The HD images from LOTR are actually downsampled from 1920x1080 to fit the 852x480 panel. The DVD is upsampled from 720x480 to fit the panel.

This will give you an idea of what HD material looks like compared to the DVD counterpart.

I've done the experiment myself with other non LOTR material versus the DVD material ... and the result is very similar to the results here. It is not a trick.

The results should speak for themselves ...

Regards

5. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    This is encouraging. I was thinking that there would be no point to upgrading to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray until such time as I could afford a 1080p native display. I just figured that my 4805 would not fully exploit the improved visuals to my satisfaction. I'm glad I found this thread. Now if there would only be a hybrid player, I'd be golden.

6. Jaxon's Dad

Doug
    Somewhat of a newb question: Will the HD-DVD player downsample to 480p over component to the SP4805? I'm close to making the jump considering Toshiba is regularly upgrading the firmware of their players. Would someone be kind enough to lay out the steps to make the connection from a HD-DVD Player to the SP4805? Use one syllable words if necessary...[​IMG]

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

For the moment, you can simply hook your Tosh HD-DVD player up to the 4805's component input if you want to. None of the current HD-DVD discs utilize the "image constraint token" (ICT) over component, so the Tosh will output full 1080i to your 4805 for the current crop of HD-DVD discs. And that's what you want to do. Set the HD-A1 for 1080i output and let the IF 4805 scale that down to its native 480p. The result is *gorgeous*.

Now ... There is one caveat with utilizing the IF 4805's component input with the HD-A1: You won't be able to utilize the HD-A1's excellent upconversion circuitry for regular DVD's. The result will be that all of your copy-protected regular DVD's will output at 480p (Just as though you were utilizing an excellent progressive scan DVD player.) Infocus sells a cable adapter for their DVI input which will allow you to hook the HD-A1 up via HDMI. You can then utilize the upconversion function of the HD-A1 for your regular DVDs. I have found, however, that most of the little "glitches" that people have been having with the HD-A1 are related to HDMI "handshaking"; and the video improvement on the IF 4805 between component and DVI is marginal at best (Even for upconverted standard DVD). So I would just stay with component at this point.

8. Jaxon's Dad

Doug
    Thank you Joseph. I'm one step closer.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Same experience here as regards HD color and overall quality over the the 4805...resolution only tells part of the story.

10. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

What's nice about the EDTV-Display devices like the 4805 is the image constraint token aspect is somewhat moot, given the constrained component resolution would be 960x540. This is still higher than what the 4805's 854x480specs will be able to display.

11. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I was watching some INHD programming today and not even my highly processed DVDs (HTPC, ffdshow , avisynth with Seesaw etc.) are able to match the color and detail (specially on panoramic shots) of HD. I am also thinking on getting a HD-DVD player now. Its obvious to me that the 4805's PQ capabilities are not fully used by the DVD format.

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

While it's true that the ICT-enabled "downrezzed" resolution is still higher than what a typical EDTV is capable of displaying, the fact is nobody has any experience with how the IF SP4805 would scale a 540p source down to 480p. We *do* know that this projector does a beautiful job scaling 1080i down to 480p. In fact, many IF4805 owners routinely feed this projector upscaled SD-DVD in order to take maximum advantage of is 1080i-to-480p scaling abilities. (The colors, in particular, seem to end up much more saturated after going through this process.)

Thankfully, it'll probably be 2010 or later before we'll have to worry about ICT-enabled transfers from HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray sources.