What's new

Experienced Voice Needed for Tower Choice (1 Viewer)

I need some help from the pros! I've settled with a Pioneer VSX-D812K receiver, and now its time for speakers.
I did alot of reading on BIC America, and am very impressed. I've got three speakers to choose from, and I need your experience and input.

BIC DV-84 towers ($290/pair
Pinnacle P6.3 in platinum (only 225/pair)
Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 minitower (320/pair)

The new speakers would be mated with an old Velodyne CT100 sub. I'm about 50% music and 50% movies, so these speakers would have to be balanced enough to handle both. My goal is to have accurate, natural sound, although I don't mind some brightness to a speaker.

My biggest problem is that I will make this order without hearing them first, which is why I'm calling on everyone's advice.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Shawn, I was looking into these speakers, but couldn't find a place to demo them. However, from what I've read, they're not too exciting of a speaker - kind of a "bland" sound. You might want to look a bit further into some of the reviews before you decide on these.

Also, given your current budget, I'd personally look for a better quality bookshelf speaker and either 1) place them on stands or 2) wall mount them with appropriate brackets. I think you'll get a lot more for your budget with this route. Seriously.

Some speakers to consider: Paradigm Titans, Paradigm Focus, NHT SB-2, and also some of the Internet-only speakers: Axiom, etc.

Also, don't forget about the "used" market for such speakers. For example, Paradigm Titans can be found for as low as $149 using "buy it now" at times on eBay.

Best of luck to you.

David Devaux

Agent
Are these the only 3 you can choose from.

I just got the JBL E80's for $400 shipped ($600 retail) from an online store and so far they sound very nice.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I did finally get to hear some of Wharfedale's Diamond series speakers, and Wayne IMO hit it on the head. They were dull sounding to me, but I tend to like a slightly brighter sounding speaker. I didn't care for them at all myself though.

Thanks for the advice...Wayne presented a good idea, and after research I found I can easily afford new Paradigm Titans. I'm going to have a listen tomorrow at a local hifi shop.

I do have a question though. My living room is approx. 15ft X 10ft. Will having Titan's as mains, with the Velo CT100 sub, and Infinity RS-1's as the rear fill up the room with sound? I just don't want it to sound wimpy when I crank up the volume.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Shawn,

Your room is not all that big. I'm currently filling my 14 x 21 ft. room with (5) 6.5" woofer/.75" tweeter speakers along with (2) Shiva subwoofers.

Ironically, I have a pair of Infinity RS-1 speakers in my 2nd zone (living room). I think they are a bit weak when I listen to music in 2-channel mode in the living room. At the time, they were some of the best sounding bookshelf speakers (in my opinion) that Circuit City sold. However, as surround speakers, they should be fine.

Bookshelf speakers should not sound wimpy in your room. Most cheaper floor-standing speakers are essentially versions of bookshelf speakers built into a bigger cabinet. You really have to get a bit further up in price to get some decent floor-standing speakers that will provide impressive sound.

Let us know how your listening session goes at your local audio dealer.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Shawn, have you considered Fluance? I own the SV10 towers, $350 a pair shipped and im loving them.

Wayne, I went to hear the Paradigm Titans, great sound, and very balanced. But there was something missing, as they had a "muffle" over them. The salesman then switched on some Boston CR 75's, and the sound was great!

I also heard Polk Rsi4's, which I went home with today to audition. They have a similar characteristics of the Bostons, like the high's come out at you. Monday I will be back at the hifi shop to see if they can get Boston CR 65's for me to hear, perfect price w/ my budget in mind. There were none around, so that's why I tried the Polk's.

I ended up with a Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver instead of the Pioneer VSX-D812. I absolutely love it. It replaced an Aiwa AVDV-70 that I was nearly ashamed to own.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Shawn,

It seems a bit odd that the Paradigm Titans sounded as described. But, it's great that you were able to hear the speakers that you did. It really seems that you've really opened up your choices quite a bit and are able to see what you can really get by going to some good bookshelf speakers.

Also, the move on the Yamaha was a good one. Having the ability to adjust the crossover for the subwoofer - since the Pioneer doesn't have the option to go below 100Hz on the adjustment, was also another good move.

I've never had a very good opportunity to hear Boston speakers. I've heard the Polks - which were also constructed quite nice - and feature real wood veneer on the cabinets.

Wayne, you are dead on about the polks! We share the same opinion about quality of construction, and I think they have a great sound as well. I just have A/B test them against the Boston's.

I also listened to some B&W 601 bookshelf speakers at the hifi shop, and those were just stellar. But at $350/pair, they are a bit over budget given I stepped up the receiver. I do need your opinion on a matter concerning the receiver. I paid $299 for the HTR-5740. I did a comparison with the 5650, and they have nearly the same specs. Its just that the 5740 is so new, I can't find anyone else selling it to judge whether or not I overpaid. What do you think?

BTW-- to respond to the paradigm matter: I think they sounded great, but here's my logic. The B&W presented the most neutral,accurate, non-colored sound, studio quality you could say. The Boston and Polks are warmer and slightly brighter, positive side you could say. Now the paradigms are on the negative end to me, still accurate, clear and detailed, but in vocal presence and warmth, IMO, are less than the B&W. Tell me how you feel.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Shawn,

Wow, you are doing a lot of demos. B&W, too. I have done some B&W demos also. I liked what I heard and the retailer was good to work with. I felt a bit limited by the cabinet colors, though - the black ash and the beech-colored vinyl. If anything, I would have gone for the beech color, but the retailer only stocked black and the other color would have been a special order. I felt that the speakers at the time were over my budget, too.

Polk, on the other hand, can be hard to narrow down. Circuit City has them. Fortuately, CC has a smaller glass-enclosed listening room with the Polk speakers in it. You can get a better idea of the sound in their smaller area. Plus, at my store, the option of pushing the Polks in demo mode can come in the form of an Onkyo or H/K receiver - both of which they have in the room. At the time, I was only looking at bookshelf speakers. However, now, I've upped my budget a bit and should head back to reconsider the floor-standers - which I've heard, but didn't seriously listen to because I felt they were out of my budget.

Keep us posted.

Just to keep everyone posted, I ended up taking the Boston Cr-75's, which the shop discounted to $279/pr!! He was great on working with my budget. They had smoother highs than the polks, and could handle the mid-bass great, while the polk RTi-4 could hardly produce mid-bass. The polks also sounded thin on piano tracks; boy does that A/B test do a world of good:) I also refunded my Yamaha HTR-5740 and got the RX-V450 at the shop for the same price.

I was told the RX-V series had a higher current amp, and that series was only distributed to the hifi places, and HTR is for BB and some e-tailers. But for the same price, hey why not?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Very nice. I wish you wouldve given the Fluance sv10's some consideration, or maybe i wish i would have given bookshelves some consideration? Well, eaither way, sounds like you got some great speakers. congrats!

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw a pair of Boston's CR-95 towers on Ebay for purchase at $329.90. Doesn't say if new or used though. The speakers in the photos look new though, probably from Boston's site.

Sound & Vision gave these a good review not too long ago - said they had impressive bass for their size. That seller has a good feedback score (3256, 99% positive).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Nathan, It looks like the item didn't sell. When I searched under history of completed auctions, there were 3 present. Looks like a couple of them went the full course without any bids. However, looks like a great deal on a 45Lb. floor-standing speaker from Boston Acoustics.

Shawn, It looks like you've done well!! Enjoy your new sounds and keep in mind that the speakers will sound even better once you've had a chance to play them enough to break them in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks