What's new

Experienced opinions wanted-PS Audio P600 Power Plant? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
OK, I'm interested in PS Audio's claims about the sonic improvements of their Power Plants. They claim not only cleaner sound and better imaging which I guess is reasonable, but also more "slam" and power in the bass. Can anybody attest to a clear improvement in power, especially when using a receiver as I will be doing? How can the PS Audio put out more/faster power than the wall plug? Also, if using one of these, is there then any benefit to improving the quality of the electrical circuit it is plugged into? Thanks for any feedback.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
I've got a PP600 myself, and I do like it. They're pricey however, and I don't know if that would be my first choice if I was doing things over.

My preamp and all my sources are plugged into it, but not my power amps. I've never tried a receiver with it.

Yes, I hear a distinct improvement with it in my system. Yes, the multiwave settings really DO make a difference (it's a lot of fun to play with them and note the changes).

The PP600 is fairly big (tall and deep) and very heavy--not all racks will be able to handle it.

What I would like to do myself is compare the Audio Magic Stealth, Shunyata Hydra, and my PP600, one at a time, in my system and keep whichever one was the best for me. I've spoken to probably four individuals who've compared the Stealth or Hydra vs. the PP600, and their unanimous feeling was that the PP600 wasn't as good as the other units. (given that the PP600 has garnered outstanding reviews, that has really piqued my interest in the other products)

A quick websearch should turn up lots of feedback on PS Audio products (AVS Forum has many threads on the subject, for instance).

My recommendation would be to first try to get dedicated circuits for your gear. Then try to compare a PowerPlant vs. either the Stealth or the Hydra (Stealth would be my first pick), in your system, and see the differences for yourself.

BTW, I know a dealer who offers pretty good pricing on the PS Audio products--if you're interested, please feel free to email me (Disclaimer: I'm not the dealer; he's the dealer I bought my PP from after shopping around).

Users who are viewing this thread