experience with refurbished receivers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_E, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

I'm considering buying a refurb'd receiver (Denon 2802) to get extra power/features/technology but stay within my budget.

Is this a wise move? Or should I live without some of the features and buy new? My only experience is my current Harman Kardon Pro Logic receiver which was bought refurbished and has performed flawlessly since. But I'm not sure if the new circuitry or hardware might have different success rates.

Thanks in advance!

-Richard

2. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

Richard:

Alot of deciding to go the refurb rought or new depends on who you will be buying it from. May refurb products carry the full manufacturers warranty, and if that is the case, I would go for it. I have purchased B-stock (usually refurbs) before and had wonderful results. Best of luck and if you do go with the 2802, you will love it.

3. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Stunt Coordinator

They are either better than new or not. Good luck, if you have the manu. warranty why not. Chances are the same as if you bought a new one. I have heard horror stories about refurb stuff from Ubid on many different forums so I'd be careful there, I have bought new stuff from them but not for a while. . .

Good luck.

4. NiravDesai

NiravDesai Auditioning

i have a refurb kenwood vr 4080B that i got from goodguys for $200. comes with a 2 yr warranty from kenwood.

sounds great. only flaw, scratches on the back of the remote.

definitely recommend buying from a place with a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've had three refurbished receivers.

* Onkyo TX-SV828THX - fantastic. Front input broke after about 8 months, not related to it being refurbished as far as I know. Got it fixed for free under warrantee, still going strong today in my brother's house.

* Philips FR-930 - my first DPL receiver in 1994 timeframe. Still going strong in stereo mode and works as good as new. Perfect.

* Pioneer 606 - loud hum from front speakers when it was first hooked up. Fixed for free under warrantee - been fine since.

I would not only buy refurbished again, I would seek out refurbished stuff so I can get more than my money's worth.