Experience with Onkyo TX-NR901

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pesiba, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

I'll appreciate it very much if anyone who owns an Onkyo Tx-NR901 can share their experiences with me. How does this AVR compare to the H/Ks, Denon and Yamaha music wise and for home theater?

I have been offered an Onkyo Tx-NR901 to replace my H/K 5800, PA 2000 and AVR that were stolen from my home last month. The onkyo seems to have a lot going for it especially the power plus video upconversion, and of course Net-tune. Tests by S&V magazine seems to suggest that the AVR goes into protect mode when tasked heavily. How has this AVR fared in your HT setup?

Thanks in a advance.

Pesiba

2. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Excellent receiver. "Protect" mode a non-issue in heavy duty home theater use. Component upconversion works well.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The onkyo's an excellent receiver. Net-Tune is a little buggy and not well supported but otherwise its a feature rich receiver [​IMG]

4. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

I listened to this AVR over the weekend at the local store and it seem to play really loud without any hint of distortion. I also compared this to the H/K 635 and must day both sounded okay to me. I thought having owned H/Ks for several years now that I'd be biased but I wouldn't mind either AVRs. Somehow though I'm not attracted by the H/K's looks! By the way, I'll running the potential AVR with JBL E60s, EC35 and the N26II.

Thanks again for all the responses and feedback.

Pesiba

5. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

The Onkyo's construction is a bit more rugged and solid. Give the volume knob a twirl. The H/K fails that test (volume seems to go the OPPOSITE way you spin the knob!)

6. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

Yea, my previous H/K AVR 5 hard that weird volume knob. I'd turn it all the way up or down without any change in volume; then the volume would suddenly go up! Because I used the remote most of the time, this didn't bother me. I noticed when I was checking out the newer model H/K's that the knobs didn't feel right. I used to think this was normal until I played with the volume knob on other receiver brands.

Well, I stopped by at the store today to pick up the Onkyo TX-NR901. I read about the audio drop out issues with the H/K's and coupled with me not attracted to the way the newer H/Ks look, I decide to try the Onkyo. I'm yet to set up up though.

Pesiba