What's new

Experience with MLB Slugfest 20-04 (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I just picked up SlugFest 20-04, having really liked last year's version, but trading it in after baseball season was over.

I've always liked my baseball games fun, and this one looks to have everything I like, and not all the stuff that I don't care about.

Anyone have it, and care to share their impressions?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I guess no one here got this one...

Well - my impressions:

Good Graphics.
Funny.
Over-the-top.
Hot Chicks.
Jimmy Shorts.
Turbo.
Bone Bat.
"Gopher Hunting".
On Fire.
Special Pitches.
Home Run Derby.
Hot Chicks.
Nice Stadiums.
"Throwing Cheese".
Ball Trails.
Adjustable Lineups.
Hot Chicks.
120 MPH Fastballs.
Enter Your Initials for Recordkeeping.
"Pig Ears".
Incredible Leaping Catches.
Nice Intro Video.
Playing ball in Atlantis.
New Instant Replay Feature.

Did I mention the Hot Chicks?

Seriously, this is a very fun 2 player Baseball game. Not too bad 1-player, either.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Chris: Is it different enough to be a complement to a more sim-oriented game like High Heat?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Having no experience with High Heat since about 3 years ago, I can't say for sure...but I do know that it does ditch realism in favor of arcade style action. The "Special Pitches" are one good example of this, as is the fantastic dives and leaps that one can make from the field. And of course, Slugfest has the requisite "Fire" that you can get by getting consecutive hits (or strikeouts).

I would recommend renting it if you already have a baseball game - but you just might find yourself wanting to buy it, especially if you have a buddy or two to play it with.

IGN has a good review of it.
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/389/389016p1.html

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Not the biggest baseball fan but always liked playing the video game...despite it getting boring after the 5th inning. Slugfest 2004 makes it a lot more fun like a video game, to me, should be, fun! And there's still lots of strategy in the game.

One thing I don't get though. Is it just me or can I slide into a base while the baseman has the ball in his hand and is touching the base and go right through him and be called SAFE???
Am I crazy?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
One thing I don't get though. Is it just me or can I slide into a base while the baseman has the ball in his hand and is touching the base and go right through him and be called SAFE???
You're not crazy.

The Turbo slide makes it so you can slide around a tag.

It doesn't work on force-outs, if I recall correctly.

Yes, this is a FUN game. A fun BASEBALL game, at that.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
No. What I mean is, the 2nd baseman could have the ball in his glove and be standing right on the base, I could just start running from 1st base and as long as I press X and slide without any turbo, I'm SAFE.

It really pisses off my girlfriend. and it actually makes me want to take the game back because it's defective.

.....yet minus that it's pretty fun.

...IS my game defective?

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Chris Rock, I have slugfest 20-03 because I got it for around $14.99, is there a reason to upgrade to 20-04

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Well, does 2003 have an obvious glitch that lets you steal any base you want just as long as you slide? 9 out of 10 times, you'll be safe. Because 2004 has this problem.

What an oversight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks