What's new

Experience with DVI-->HDMI cable? (1 Viewer)

ScottMa

Auditioning
Hi All,

Longtime member/lurker, very rare poster. On to the question.

I recently purchased a Magnavox Plasma TV Model: 42MF230A/37 and now am looking to upgrade my Dish Network service to DishHD. However my TV has only a DVI-D input and the Dish receiver has only a HDMI output. I saw that Blue Jeans Cables has DVI->HDMI cables and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience in connecting an HDMI source to a DVI input.

Audio isn't a concern because I have a Digital Audio out directly into my receiver.

Will I suffer any PQ loss due to the difference in connector types or is this a more common issue than I thought? Is this my best option? Will this be a better connection than component cables or are the relatively close?

Thanks for any advice or info you can give me.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't have HD yet, but some friends do. I helped them set it up. They have High Def DirecTv. They have same hookups. We went to WalMart and got an HDMI to DVI cable ($48), and it looks great. These cables work very well.
Good luck!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There should be no signal loss. The devices will behave as if it were just a DVIDVI connection (in most all cases). HDMI adds YCbCr transmission capability, if you have DVI at one end, it will just revert back to RGB which is what DVI spec's define.

You can think of DVI as a subset of HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks