What's new

Experience with assumable mortgage (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Wondering if anyone knows about this type of transaction or has done it. We are thinking of buying my mother-in-laws home for a rental property. We want to go this route since she refied last year at 5% for 15 years. Any info is appreciated.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
There is usually a credit qualifying and a modest fee to assume. Make sure of the loan terms - that there is no adjustable rate, balloons or other surprizes.

Assumeables were very big in the 70s when interest rates were skyrocketing.

For you the only real advantage may be saving a few grand on closing costs. 5%X15 is nice, but not heartstopping.

You also need to consider the difference between the purchase price and the real value. If there is substantial equity you must either compensate her or accept it as a gift.

If you compensate her you will need either a second mortgage (usually at higher rates than firsts) or alot of spare cash.

If you accept it as a gift there is a real possibility of gift-taxes being due.

One creative method I've heeard for gifting is for ma to carry back a second for the equity and just forgive an amout of principal every year equal to the gift-tax exclusion.

Finally, you may want to carefully consider what is involved in getting into the landlord business. Being a landlord is not always a hay-ride. Horror stories abound. Think roommates - you just don't live with them.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Eric, you bring up some good points. We do plan on giving her the difference in cash but I agree that 5% for 15 is average.

We have until spring so there is much more research to be done. We would like for both parties to benefit as much as possible instead of third parties like banks and realtors, etc. Thanks for your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks