What's new

Experience on New Purchase of HD-A1 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Gustavo Menendez
Last week I purchased the Toshiba HD-A1 player. I researched the best price and options and ended up with Amazon.com. For $459.00 and no tax or shipping costs it was the best way to enter into Hi-Def!

The first thing I did was to upgrade the firmware to 2.0 After that I played:
Lara Croft's Tomb Raider... Wow I was taken back by the image quality and the lack of artifacts in addition to the purity and quality of the (rich colors) chroma! I started using the optical audio output. The sound was (to my perception) much better than regular DVD's both Dolby and DTS.

For display I am using a Mitsubishi Diamond Series 73-inch RPTV with 9-inch CRT's with no HDMI inputs only componnet at 1080i. (ISF Calibrated) By the way there is NO difference between 1080i and 1080p for films!

Luckily, all (to the best of my knowledge) the current HD DVD's do not have the ACT flag set to on! So I can view the HD-DVD's in Hi-Res. via the component cables. Unfortunately, I can not use the player to upconvert regular DVD's to 1080i. (Because I do not have an HDMI input on my current display.

It would be nice if somebody built an HDMI to Component converter!

The second movie I viewed was "Serenity" this time using the 5.1 Analog outputs which meant that I was using the CODECS of the player instead of the ones in my receiver which are not set-up for High Resolution Audio.

Fantastic quality of sound and of course video!

Well, does anybody know of a 5.1 analoque audio switcher? Another thing that the HD-A1 does not do is SACD audio. So I need to swicth between 2 DVD players for Hi-Def DVD's and SACD Audio.

My overall impression is that for under $500.00 you can enter the world of High Definition and enloy the results in images and sound!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks