"Experience" DVDS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wolters, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

For lack of a better term, I am looking for experience DVD's. I just ordered the Super Speedway DVD. Are there any other DVD's out there that are more like a documentary or an experience rather than just a film? Are any of the other IMAX DVD's worth looking at? I wish they would make a NASCAR DVD or maybe one with a camera mounted on a 737.

2. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I don't have any IMAX titles, but if you can play Region 2 PAL DVDs then I'd recommend the following two "experience" DVDs:

Firstly, Luc Besson's "Atlantis" is available from Germany. A series of underwater sequences set to an Eric Serra score with no narration (except for a short unsubtitled German-language introduction), this has an acceptable anamorphic widescreen picture and DTS sound.

Secondly, "Microcosmos" is available from France in a 2-disc special edition. This comprises footage of insects set to a score, plus sound effects. The France edition has an excellent anamorphic widescreen picture and full bit-rate DTS sound. Again there is a short unsubtitled introduction, but after that the images speak for themselves. The extras on disc 2 are unsubtitled French language, but you should be able to find the set for the price of a single disc, so if you can't speak French then you are not paying extra for something you can't understand.

By the way, I believe that there is a (non-DTS) R1 edition of Microcosmos, but I can't vouch for the quality.

3. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Anyone see any of these IMAX DVDS ?
    Any of them worth buying?

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Blue Planet has breathtaking views of Earth from space. The narration is a bit preachy at times, but for me it was worth it for the visuals.

I haven't seen Everest on DVD, but it was a good flick at my nearest Omnimax (Mugar Omni / Boston)...

-Scott

5. Michael St. Clair

They are making a NASCAR IMAX film, but I definitely won't like it as much as Super Speedway...open wheel rules, 'stock' car racing does not. [​IMG]