Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I have expensive tastes.
I now own:
2x 10" Paradigm UltraCube subwoofers
11x MilleniaOne speakers.

I ran up to the AV store. They do stock Anthem recievers. I have no idea who I talked to on the phone that said they no longer stocked Anthem.

Anyway, I'd have to get the Anthem MRX 1140 to drive my system. (I like Anthem).

But the cost of the MRX 1140 plus installation means I'll have to wait till I get some remodeling and house repairs done before I even contemplate having the home theater installed.

I'm looking at possibly 2023 now. ☹️

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
On a side note: I have an old budget pc, built in 2016, that I'm repurposing to use with my home theater. I ordered a wireless keyboard w/touchpad, and a 2TB external ssd drive (for data. The case is designed in such a way it would be impossible to add a 2nd internal drive. The main drive is only 500GB.

But since I'm not using it for gaming, there's little need to bother upgrading the primary drive to something better.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I'm curious why you feel the need to brag that you have expensive taste when you have 11 $250 speakers?

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
It's not the speakers that I was referring to, but the cost of the Anthem MRX 1140 plus the cost of installation.

It was easy to get the speakers, price wise, since I'd picked up 5 of them about 10 years ago, so finding 6 more on ebay wasn't sticker shock.

But saving up for the AV reciever and installation is quite a bump in cost.
Also, I thought maybe I could use the MRX 720 for the setup, but apparently not. So that's a price bump of a $1000 more than I'd anticipated.

Ten or 11 years ago, I think the entire price of my home theater, plus installation was under $3500.

So I have a bit of sticker shock. Note that I already owned some of the equipment from my old home theater.

Here's a rough breakdown.

11x milleniaone speakers, used ($250): $2750
2x Ultracube 10", used ($450): $900
1x Anthem MRX 1140, new: $3700
Installation (rough estimate) $1600 (+/- $200)

Total cost $8950 (+/- $200), plus tax.
less the cost of the older speakers, and I'm still looking well north of $7500 after taxes.

Last edited:

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Pupp, My response was crude and I apologize for that. You have a nice system and the Anthem will be a great addition. I do enjoy high end audio and always look forward to what others are using. I currently run Bowers and Wilkins speakers with an SVS sub connected to a Marantz receiver and may upgrade soon to GoldenEar speakers. I do not consider my system High End but a decent mid level setup.

What are controlling everything with? I really enjoy automation and universal controllers. A real cost savings is if you can do the install yourself instead of paying someone to do it.

Brian

Last edited:

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I'd use a universal remote I guess. I mean, once a home theater is set up, there's not much to do.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
One nice thing about home theaters, is one can upgrade speakers later.

So in a few years I'll upgrade the front speakers to something much nicer, then have my system bumped up to a 7.2.6.

Then someday replace the 2 rear speakers to match the front speakers.

At that point, I'd stop there. No real reason to replace side and overhead speakers.

It's not practical to have more than 2 side speakers, due to the room's design.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I'd use a universal remote I guess. I mean, once a home theater is set up, there's not much to do.

I feel that a properly programmed remote can take a system to the next level. The right remote can be programmed to dim the lights, set the surround mode, set the volume, go to the proper input, plus more. All from one button. The big draw back on some remotes is the cost in having them installed and programmed, especially now that Harmony is getting out of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks