What's new

Expensive power cables... (1 Viewer)

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of building a power cable for my receiver out of this stuff. Any advice? This will probably end up quite expensive, so I'd like to get it right first time.

:D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Advice: don't waste your time or money, and be ready to wait quite a long time for avaiability. ;):D But it would be the best bragging rights on Audio Asylum ever. "My quantum cables developed by nasa make for wonderful sound!!!"

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
I just picked-up a 100 foot extension cord made out of this stuff for use in the yard. It has made my Weed Wacker work like a charm - I'm now felling large trees with it. :laugh:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well Mark, according to that link, they estimate that it won't be until 2010 till they have a 1 meter prototype available. Further, nothing is said about the material's current or voltage carrying capacity. Nor is anything said about its resistance to shock, bendability, short or long term stability, and a host of other factors that would have a bearing upon its use in your proposed application. In fact, I rather doubt that there will be any interest whatsoever in such an area as things like CPU's and other electronic circuitry seem like far more likely targets that might reap a benefit.

Imagine for the moment that you had a hypothetical power cord that had zero resistance. What benefit do you think you would gain from that seeing as you've got all that wire that leads from your power generating stations that goes to your wall outlet and further, you've got all that wire and sundry circuit traces in your receiver?

Now, if you're of the mindset that you'd like to pimp out your power cords, maybe overdesign them, make them look snazzy, experience the personal satisfaction that comes from making it yourself, then the following link will provide you with pictures of the finished results. I'm sure you can source most of the materials over in the UK or find close enough equivalents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks