Expected Quality Jump?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Within the next month I am looking into getting a new Home Theater receiver. The model I am looking at the most is the Yamaha HTR-5490. With my Best Buy discount I can get this receiver at a great price. My question is I currently have a Sony STR-DE835 reveiver and am wondering how much of a quality jump I can expect by going to the Yamaha. I know the Yamahas are regrarded pretty highly around here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. My current setup is listed below. Thanks!

Brandon Smith

2 JBL 312s (mains)

1 JBL S-Center (center)

2 Sony cube speakers (rears)

1 Sony WA40 Subwoofer

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The Yamaha should be a noticeable improvement over the Sony. The Yamaha steps up to Dolby Pro Logic II, many more inputs and outputs (including Component Video switching), more DSP modes (if you usse them), and lower THD. The Yamaha is very conservatively rated at 80 watts/channel, but I would be willing to bet that is much more powerful than most receivers claiming 100 watts/channel.

I have the Yamaha HTR-5250 and JBL S312s, S-Center, and S26s for surrounds. I also have the JBL PB12 subwoofer. I think you are putting together a great system.

With your BB discount, in the future you may want to consider the JBL S38s and PB12 to replace your Sony surrounds and sub.

-Chris

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I figured from what I had been reading around the forum that the Yamaha would probably be a much better receiver. I can't wait to get this unit and see how it stacks up to my old receiver. I plan to eventually replace the back speakers with some JBL's, but the problem is finding a place to hang them because of their size. Once I figure that out I will invest in those. As for a sub, Im saving for a SVS [​IMG]. Thanks!
    Brandon Smith

4. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Brandon, you should also consider the JBL S36 speakers. They are smaller in size than the S38, but are still 3-way speakers, and come with wall mounts to be hanged horizontally or vertically. They sound great in my Onkyo 595/JBL S312/S36/S-Center setup.