What's new

Expected Lifespan of Solid State Amplifiers (1 Viewer)

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me the expected lifespan of a mid-fi amplifier, such as the Rotel 1095 or the Parasound 2205, etc.? I am curious as to how many years of service I could expect to receive from an amp. I know it will depend on various factors, especially frequency of use. So if you could provide me the lifespan in hours, I can calculate the years based on my normal or estimated usage.

Thanks,

Ron

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Bryston uses better quality parts than Rotel or Parasound but that doesn't mean Rotel or Parasound can't last 20 years. But since they don't warranty their products for 20 years, it shouldn't be a surprise to you if they don't last that long.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pioneer A-60 integrated amplifier that I purchased 18 years ago, and it's still alive and kicking. The cover has never been opened once.

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all who have responded. I've been debating on whether to get a 5-channel 120-150 watt amp now, and then a 200-250 watt in a few years when I upgrade my speakers, OR going ahead and getting a larger amp now. Since amps tend to last for 15-20 years, I think I might go ahead and get the larger amp now. Anyone want to talk me out of it? :)

FrankB

Agent
I'm still using my Technics reciever I bought in 1978, so thats 24 years and going strong. When I bought my 5.1 system I moved the Technics unit and my old speakers to the bedroom, where it will probably work for many more years.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
The only components in an amp with a finite lifespan are the capacitors. Their life usually shortens with time, exponentially, so the hotter you run your amp the (much more)sooner the caps will dry out. The flip side is that the cooler you run your amp the (much more) you elongate its life. Most electrolytic caps last 20 years at 70-80 F. Once they dry out you can easily replace them with bigger badder ones to last you another 20 or so years. All the other components in an amp like transformers/resistors/inductors/transistors/wires can easily outlast any human being on this planet if not abused outside their nominal operating range.
So you have nothing to worry about the life of a SS amp. You should more be worried about your life span. If amps could type and if there was a forum for them, they would be posting threads like 'Expected lifespan of a bio-state human being'
:D

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone want to talk me out of it?
Have you checked with your wife/significant-other?:)
Seriously, power amps last a very long time, if they are not abused. Also, the art of designing power amp really has not changed all that much, so a good 20-year-old power amp is still a good power amp by today's standards. With the move to HT, there are a lot of great deals on used stereo power amps. I believe they are safe to buy, because owners of expensive gear don't tend to abuse them.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Aslam is exactly right that the power caps will dry up. As he said, it all depends on how much heat they were exposed to. One reason I won't buy an amp or receiver demo is that often it has been in the cramped shelf spaces along with as many other pieces they can cram into each self. Other than Carver, all amps generate heat that requires open space above, with 6 inches about minimum and 8 inches for multichannel pieces. If an amp has led a cool life, 20+ years is reasonable.

As to a new Rotel 1095 or Parasound 2205, it depends on how hard you run them.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks