Expect to Pay for tuneup?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert K, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Robert K

Robert K Agent

How much would I expect to pay someone (an ISF trained technician) to come to my home to tune up my Sony RPTV XBR 57". Its 10 years old. Works fine, just needs to be tweaked.

Thought I might sneak a year or two more out of it. But depending on the setup cost, It might make sense to purchase a new TV instead.

Any thoughts appreciated.

thank you
    robert

2. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

My uncle just got his 2 year old sony tuned for 140 canadian and around here thats even a bit pricey. hope that helps a bit

3. Robert K

Robert K Agent

That would be more then reasonable.

I hear 250 + Travel costs US. That would be about 10% of the cost of a new HD Ready TV. So Im not sure worth it for that. I have a 10 year old Sony XBR RPTV.

Thought I might squeeze a year or two more out of it while the LCD technologies catch up a bit. But Maybe I get a CRT now.

What driving my decision is:
    1) Im worried about burnin on a CRT RPTV (have that in spades on my current Sony) and the LCD technologies dont have that problem.
    2). I want a 70" 16:9 screen to at least equal the 4:3 size viewing size I enjoy now. The only candidate I see..just available is a Sony 70" RPTV for $7000. So maybe a 3rd criteria is I want to keep it around $3500.

your thoughts?
    robert