What's new

Expanding the upper frequency rage of old speaker (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi, A while back I asked if Dome or cone tweeters where better. Every one said that dome tweeters are better of course, well I have two pairs of really nice speakers I’m using for my sound system, the only problem is that they all have cone tweeters because there a few years old. I was going to replace the cones with domes but someone mentioned that the crossovers in my speakers where designed to work with each drivers specific characteristics and if I replace the tweeters that I could get very bad sound. Since buying new speakers is not really an option right now (I’m only 15 and don’t have tons of money to spend) I just decided I would have to make do with the cone tweeters. Well recently I was at radio shack and saw that they are selling horn tweeters, They do not require any crossover and since their piezo electric they don’t have any resistance. Here are some of their specs 100W RMS/200W max. 3800-30,00Hz. 92dB Sound Pressure Level 1W/1M. You can see a picture and a few more specs at radioshack.com Cat.#: 40-1233. I'm wondering if I could put a horn tweeter in the back of each speaker box to expand the frequencies and to make the speakers dipolar or bipolar. My friend has some speakers setup exactly like this with a cone tweeter in the front and a horn in the back and they sound great. I could also use a potentiometer to control the loudness of the horns. Does anyone know if this would work?
Ryan

NathanP

Supporting Actor
If they work in your friends, they might as well work in yours..
Give it a shot!
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks