Expanding my music collection - - which artists to add?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Since I have most of my DVD collection covered, I've decided to focus some more of my time and money towards expanding my music collection.
    I want to get all the best CDs and songs from the periods of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. So tell me: which artists are absolutely essential to such a collection? Genres I'd like to focus on include: Rock 'n' Roll, jazz, Rhythm & Blues, and Soul. Who are/were the best Rock 'n' Roll, jazz, Rhythm & Blues, and Soul artists? Which songs/albums marked their careers and should be had in all collections?
    BTW, I currently have quite a few Elvis Presley CDs (including "unofficial" releases) in my collection so I think I have music made by The King covered. Hopefully we'll get a lot of replies to this thread so I can start building my collection. My goal is to have a very wide variety of artists and music in my collection (to impress the ladies and add to my own enjoyment and love of music). 100 CDs per genre mentioned above is my goal. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Keep in mind that I already have CDs from the following artists: The Platters, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, The Doors, LeAnn Rimes, Liberace, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Temptations, Sarah Vaughan, Diana Krall, Janis Siegel, Meatloaf, The Righteous Brothers, Roy Orbison, Eric Clapton, Cheryl Lynn, James Brown, Celine Dion, Mel Torme`, Tom Jones, and Paula Cole.

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Wow, that's some request. I'll just drop 5 names for each genre:
    R&R: The Who, Led Zeppelin, U2, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jimi Hendrix.
    R&B/Soul: Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and Parliament/Funkadelic.
    Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Keith Jarrett, and Pat Metheny.
    Just a drop in the bucket, I know, but I don't have week [​IMG] JH

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Since you're casting your net wide, why not start with compilations that do the same? For instance, with "Soul" music, look at stuff like the Motown "Hitsville USA" or "Stax Story" box sets. A lot of the Rhino compilations (such as "In Yo' Face: the History of Funk" in separate volumes or the ridiculously ambitious box set "The R&B Box: 30 Years Of Rhythm & Blues") are great multi-label samplers as well. For early Jazz (it skimps a lot on the modern stuff), look at the Ken Burns Jazz: The Story of America's Music 5 disc set. You can use these as jumping off points to identify artists from which you want to hear more.

A lot of pre-70s music was largely single rather than album focused, so these compilations are a good way to introduce oneself to it.

Regards,

4. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

My musical taste is rather bizarre from most of the people in the forum. But I will attempt to give you some thoughts on some artist that I feel should be in everyone's collection. I am going to not list the typical artist that it seems are always mentioned, like The Beatles, Elton John and such. I feel those are way to over named and really don't tell of the expansiveness of the music genre.

Artist to research and look into buying:

Patsy Cline
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Carpeneters (though they can be cheesy, you will never find another voice like Karen's)
    Gladys Knight and The Pips
    Barbara Mandrell (a all-time favorite of mine that paved the way for adult contemporary country)
    Cher
    Tina Turner
    Pat Benatar
    Dolly Parton (one of the best as far as singer-songwriter)
    Eurythmics/Annie Lennox

5. Rand

Rand Supporting Actor

A good way to get a good cross section of '70's rock and pop is Rhino's "Have a Great Decade" box set. This is a seven disc compilation of their 70's music compilation discs, "Have a Nice Day". It come in a nice box with a terrific book. Very good value.

I also highly recommend Rhino's "History of the British Invasion" compilations. This is British Invasion (British pop and rock artists hits released in the USA) pop and rock from the sixties. Only discs six through nine are currently available. You may be able to pick up the others used.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just a few random ideas before I head out to lunch from work....

Duran Duran: "Greatest" or the earlier "Decade" greatest-hits album. BTW, the original members are in the studio recording with producer Niles Rodger.

Pet Shop Boys: The Singles Collection

Van Halen: 1984 or 5150

Elvis Presley: 24 Karat Hits on DCC gold CD, blows away the RCA releases.

Whitney Houston: Self-titled debut album. Everything she did after this album pales in comparison.

The Art of Noise: The Best of The Art of Noise, featuring Tom Jones covering Prince's "Kiss".

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Since these haven't been mentioned, I'll add:
    Procol Harum, King Crimson, The Kinks, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead

9. Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve Second Unit

Check out my collection at CD-Tracker, most with links for cover art & track listings. I hope you find it useful[​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Jean Paul

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

jean paul -

how do you like the cd tracker program? can you compare it at all to dvd profiler?

i'm still trying to track down a decent program to catalog my cds...

11. Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve Second Unit

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey...great link jean - thanks! [​IMG]

13. Brian Harnish

Wow. Thanks a lot, everyone! This should get me started. If anyone else has more suggestions, please don't hesitate to add to the thread. [​IMG]

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Brian, you should listen to King Crimson. Everyone should listen to King Crimson. It's environmentally friendly, folds neatly under the bed, and contains lots of riboflavin.

15. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

Tortoise - Standards

everyone should own this album.

16. Brian Harnish

Still lookin' for more artists! Don't be shy, folks. [​IMG]

17. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Ok I'll add my thought to this. This doesn't quite fit your criteria but if there is one "off the wall" disc you should try its Julie Miller's Blue Pony. Its a country-folk-rock album that after 2 years of purchasing it still is my favorite listen. By no means am I a country fan nor much of a folk fan but the way this release is all tied together its a great sound. And the real bonus is with the recording...I use it as my reference disc. Almost flawless with a warm feel. Good stuff

I highly recomend it.

18. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Damn you gotta love all this diversity! [​IMG]

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Brian, we used to have a Blues club thread and a Jazz club thread here in the Music forum. Do searches for those and you should find tons of excellent recommendations.

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    some essentials:
    Sonic Youth -Daydream Nation
    Jungle Bros -Done by the forces of nature
    Bjork -Post
    Massive Attack -Mezzanine
    Portishead -Dummy
    Van Halen -Fair Warning
    Rickie Lee Jones -Self Titled Debut
    Tom Waits -Rain Dogs