What's new

exotic speaker wires DIY's questions ETC (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I currently belong to the "12 GA" Home Depot speaker wire croud,but reading some other sites I have seen some interesting stuff.I have read about Radio Shack magnet wire used,suposed to be just great.Then also the Cat5 DIY's stuff.I can see how multi strand Cat5 could function,but small gauge magnet wire??I know this is an old battle ,with lots of "search" stuff,but just wanting to hear the latest opinions and theory from people .I just cant see how the magnet wire thing could work very well,wouldnt something of that small a gauge be like using the cheap stuff that comes with Meaga low buck systems?

Thanks
Greg

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well i'll toss a challenge back at you. let's set aside for the moment, issues of audibility and dwell on the theoretical. come up with a plan, a design, that'll minimize both inductance and capacitance. that's your challenge and i'm assuming you're not running electrostatics.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
HUH???:D I'm just using 12ga HD wire with Mordaunt-Short 908's,just confused how some are SOO sure that this weid exotic stuff really does anything.I would thing such small ga wire would not be enough for a proper signal,judging by all the recomended wire Ga vs distance charts.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
A friend recommended that I try the 30 ga. magnet wire from radioshack, on Tuesday I did the experiment using my B&W CDM 7NT with no sub. I usually use Tributaries biwire cable
14ga. X 4.
I notice right away that the bass was much tighter but the sound stage I usually have was gone, also my system didnt sound as loud. Basically, it just didn't sound as good as before. Tighter bass but sacrificing almost everything else? Not worth it to me.
Just my 2¢

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hold on guys,

usually the "Cat5" or "Magnent" wire involves taking multiple strands and braiding them together to create a cable with 10-12 strands that is the equilivent of ~14 ga wire.

I dont think you should take 1 strand of 30 ga wire and connect it up.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
which is why i suggested a bit of independent research on techniques that one can use to lower inductance and minimize capacitance. the longer the length, the greater the capacitance and eventually you'll get to a point where you might find the receiver getting a bit warm...i kind of look at it as heat stroke.
However as a starting point for your investigations, i'd suggest taking a look at dunlavy's or nordost's wires. might give you some clues.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies everyone,its a little clearer now.im just recently getting into audio stuff past the "turn it on and listen" so some of my questions may appear kind of lame at times.

Thanks
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks