Exorcist: The Beginning announced on DVD from Warners on Jan 4th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

The film didn't get a great response, maybe the reason for the relatively short cinema to DVD window at under 20 weeks.

Seperate WS and P&S version will be released, no specs at the moment.

2. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

What are the chances we'll see an all-inclusive Exorcist Box Set with all the films? They're all owned by Warner, I believe...

mike

3. Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka Stunt Coordinator

Will this release include the Paul Schrader version?
    I thought I heard it would.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There was a rumour that Schrader's version would eventually be made available on DVD.

I think that this production has to be one of the most depressing stories to come of Hollywood in a long time. To treat someone like Schrader like they did was truly atrocious. And then the film didn't cause a stir - it certainly wasn't a big hit, as has been anticipated, so one now wonders if Schrader's original vision of the film was stronger emotionally.

One thing is for sure, Billy Friedkin wasn't impressed, "pointless", he proclaimed. Does anyone know what Blatty had to say?

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

William Peter Blatty -- in an L.A. Weekly story about the fiasco -- saw the Paul Schrader version and called it a "masterpiece." I don't know what his response to the Renny Harlin version was.

I was out of town when this came out; by the time I'd come back at the beginning of September, it had pretty much vanished.

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I hope Warner release both versions of the movie on DVD at the same time as a 2 disc set.

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Releasing these sort of movies before October has always been a mystery to me. While it wasn't good, it was far from Exorcist 2: The Heretic (only barely though).

8. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

about a box set I've seen them packaged together at wal-mart (first 3)

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    If this DVD doesn't contain the original version then I'd say we'll get a re-release at a later date with the possible release of a SE of part 3. It also looks like they'd release part 1 again as a 2-disc SE with both cuts of the film.

I didn't see this in theaters but will pick it up.

10. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I'll buy the Schrader version in a heartbeat. The Harlin version won't even get a rnetal.

11. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Thank God (pun intended). I missed the original cut of the The Exorcist when it was on dvd. I hope they don't loose The Fear of God documentary. That's half the reason I want the original dvd.

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

And I hope it's a new disc instead of a repacking of the old flipper with its dated transfer.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

What would lead you to believe this?

I've been waiting for the longest time to own a definitive Special Edition set with both the original theatrical and altered 25th Anniversary Edition cut of the film, along with all bonus features, documentaries, etc...

Why would you assume though, that something like this would be in the works?

14. Laurence Price

Laurence Price Stunt Coordinator

I would only buy the Renny Harlin directed Excorsist: The beginning DVD if it included the Paul Shrader directed version of the movie, otherwise I'm not interested and won't bother with it.

15. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I thought it had been confirmed that Schrader's version of the film would be released on DVD, and I thought I had heard it would be at the same time as Harlin's. At any rate, I'm sure Schrader's will be released eventually; they spent too much money on this whole thing not to, especially after the disappointing BO performance of Harlin's version.

I didn't think Harlin's version was horrible (certainly not as bad as The Heretic), but I didn't think it was particularly good, either. I wouldn't buy Harlin's film by itself, but I would definitely give Schrader's version at least a rent.

16. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Every time I read something about the movie it was noted both versions would be on the DVD. While I never saw anything official (ie studio press release, etc) it seems to be a pretty widely believed rumor not to have some validity.

-paul

17. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott

I said it looks like they would do it. Just to milk more money out of the series and the original version does need to be remastered plus I'm sure more goodies could be added. I don't have an inside source on this one but it makes sense to put together a new edition since this is a film that will sell plus the older version is rather hard to get now.

18. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'll be buying Harlin's version. I expected the worst when I saw it and was pleasantly surprised (except for some bad CGI and silliness late in the film). For the most part it was serious and took a deep look at the younger version of father Merrin, and I liked that about it. Not as good as 1 or 3, but much better than HERETIC.

Still dying to see Paul Schrader's version though. I'd have to believe we will, after all the money was spent on it and how poorly the Harlin version did in theatres.

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    The head of Morgan Creek (his name escapes me at the moment), the company which now owns the rights to the Exorcist franchise has stated publicly in numerous interviews that Schrader's version will definitely be released on DVD. Actually, they've even mentioned that they might run the film theatrically in LA/NYC.

20. Laurence Price

Laurence Price Stunt Coordinator

James G. Robinson is Chairman and CEO of Morgan Creek.