EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC coming 8/6!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth English, May 1, 2002.

1. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Hallelujah! Finally, one of my all-time favorite horrible movies is coming to DVD! John Boorman's brilliant mega-turkey EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC will be released August 6th according to DVDFile.com.
    Also coming on the same day is another favorite (this one is actually good ) -- THE WOLFEN! [​IMG]
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...html#045012002

2. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Anyone who doesn't understand why this is good news (hah!) needs to read the Jabootu review of the film: http://www.jabootu.com/e2.htm.
    "A small part of me died when I saw James Earl [Jones] clothed in a garish loincloth and Buddhist-style hat made of leopard skin. When he reared back his head and the sound track dubbed in the growl of a snarling bobcat, some of the parts of me which had survived decided to pull a Leland Palmer, and tossed themselves on top of the coffin containing the dead bits of me as it was being lowered into the ground."
    :)

3. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Not a good movie by any means, but I'm going to have to include this one in my DVD library. This is just one nutty whackjob of a sequel, from Richard Burton's hilarious performance to all that trippy stuff with the locusts. What a hoot.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, director John Boorman has done better. Anybody care to guess which film he did that has become the stuff of HTF legend? [​IMG]
    Saw this one only once back in 1977. The music is pretty cool in the flick's first half. Really.

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Maestro Ennio Morricone (the composer of EII) has a great knack of writing music for the film that *should* have been made, rather than what ended up on the screen. Just look at Mission to Mars again if you don't believe me, it's a brilliant score for a lame picture.

6. Kenneth English

Yeah, Morricone's music is great (and, like his Spaghetti western scores, suitably weird).
    It's available on an excellent French import CD if you're interested. Screen Archives Entertainment (I order all my soundtracks from them -- Craig Spaulding and the gang there are the best ) has it for $20.00. [​IMG]
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...&user=96887791

7. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

Awesome! I've always wanted to have this on DVD. I can think of no other movie that has such interesting themes and ideas, with such interesting and exceptional production design, yet that also is executed so ineptly in so many ways.

However, the DVD appears to be bare-bones. I was really hoping for a John Boorman commentary. He has always had interesting things to say about the movie in interviews, and has often defended it, saying that he still feels some of his best work is in that film. A commentary might have been his chance to at least partially redeem and explain himself.

8. Peter Avellino

Funny that Mission to Mars should get mentioned in this thread. When I saw that movie on opening night on Hollywood Blvd., I thought the response from the crowd was the closest I'd ever get to actually experiencing what I've read happened with Exorcist II. I've got the French import CDand it's terrific.

As for the movie, well, yeah. Maybe it's inept and ludicrous. But it's also kind of deliriously beautiful in a lunatic sort of way. At least it's interesting. That's more than you can say for most movies. Please note, I didn't say it was good. Just interesting.

9. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

11. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I had never paid enough attention to this flick to realize

it was John Boorman who had directed it. He went from Deliverance to THIS?!?!

12. Kenneth English

Actually, Boorman went from DELIVERANCE to ZARDOZ to EXORCIST II, so he's really responsible for not just one but TWO of the worst movies of all time!

But, like a previous poster said, his films are so visually entrancing and are so thematically fascinating that you can almost forgive his narrative incoherence and lack of good judgment or anything resembling restraint.

If there's ever a MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 4000, EXORCIST II and ZARDOZ will be shoe-ins.

13. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

The good locust?!

Oh, man, get some movie buddies, crack open a few beers, and prepare to howl!

14. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

15. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

16. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I really, REALLY hate to admit this, but Exorcist II is my favorite of the trilogy.

17. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Tim Hoover wrote:

18. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Rex, I'm not ashamed, I'm just assuming the fetal position to prepare for the coming onslaught [​IMG]