What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Director Ridley Scott tries his hand at retelling the story of Moses and the Hebrew’s Exodus from Egypt in Exodus: Gods and Kings. The end result is a 2 1/2 hour epic that is gorgeous to look at, particularly in UHD, but struggles in its storytelling and casting.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Again did Fox tell you that they used the 2K intermediate to produce this vs. creating a 4K intermediate? Just curious...

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
It was released in 3D, so it's 2K for sure.

Yes, it was and so? So the studios would never go back and create a new 4K Intermediate because studios never do that right? Come on there have been a whole group of 4K Digital Intermediates recreated that where used to create the Mastered in 4K blu-rays. All I'm saying is people think IMDB is the bible of how a film is released on Blu-ray or UHD. When no one has asked the studios on how these discs where produced.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
So far I believe everything on UHD has been upscaled. Even when they may have filmed parts at 4K+, all the post production and special effects was done at 2K.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
So far I believe everything on UHD has been upscaled. Even when they may have filmed parts at 4K+, all the post production and special effects was done at 2K.

There are several with 4K Digital Intermediates so you are saying even those are upscaled? There are several that where filmed with only 35mm film. There is no reason the digital intermediate would not be 4K. Any movie shot with only digital cameras may have shots that where shot with less then 4K cameras this being one. Out of the 13 titles I own I think 50% claimed to have 4K intermediates per IMDB. Most of those where shot with non-digital cameras. I get everyone wants a reason for this format to fail... Fine but I would say the "upscaled" ones (if they are) look still much better then the Blu-ray versions so I'll take it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't want it to fail by any stretch. I think the increase in resolution isn't really that big of a deal. I think the addition of HDR is a huge deal and way more important than the resolution. I think its what the studios need to be pushing/selling and I think its where the format will ultimately succeed.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
The HDR actually increases the level of visible detail. There is a lot of light-based detail that is obscured when the 2k master is 'dumbed down' to SDR home video. That said, although HDR is the star of the show, I have enjoyed the resolution upgrade on a few titles, notably Expendables 3.

UHD BD is going to take a while to gain momentum because of the lack of HDR TVs out there, and the fact that the ones available are still pretty expensive.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
As I mentioned in the comments of a previous UHD release here, I believe that a review of a film with a previous Video rating of 5/5 for the Blu-ray release should not have the Video rating of the UHD version downgraded to 4.5/5 just because the reviewer doesn't have a UHD HDR capable set to properly evaluate it.
I also believe that the film's Audio rating should be based on the QUALITY of the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track, NOT on whether Dolby Atmos was included or not (even if it was present on the theater). Just my thoughts...

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
As I mentioned in the comments of a previous UHD release here, I believe that a review of a film with a previous Video rating of 5/5 for the Blu-ray release should not have the Video rating of the UHD version downgraded to 4.5/5 just because the reviewer doesn't have a UHD HDR capable set to properly evaluate it.
I also believe that the film's Audio rating should be based on the QUALITY of the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track, NOT on whether Dolby Atmos was included or not (even if it was present on the theater). Just my thoughts...

I agree as well. I did see one reviewer that was basically starting at 3 stars if the UHD was equal to the Blu-ray. Even that seemed a little weird to me.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I agree as well. I did see one reviewer that was basically starting at 3 stars if the UHD was equal to the Blu-ray. Even that seemed a little weird to me.

I don't know that's seems about right. If the UHD can't even beat the Blu-ray that's probably the most it deserves. Do you think a Blu-ray could possible get more than 3 stars if it were DVD quality?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames

Obviously a superior format has to be graded with higher standards. I agree the reviewer can't fully appreciate the benefit of the format because an important (well, THE most important) component is lacking, but there are many others out there without HDR displays that can fully appreciate his impressions and the effort he put into the review.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't know that's seems about right. If the UHD can't even beat the Blu-ray that's probably the most it deserves. Do you think a Blu-ray could possible get more than 3 stars if it were DVD quality?

I also think that 3 is about right. Then add points for added resolution, bit depth, color space and how the HDR conversion is handled.
Of course with HDR anything goes as there is no reference anymore for anything so the whole rating system is much more subjective than before where we had a gold standard in the theatrical 2D or 3D DCI. For HDR we don't have this at the moment.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Obviously a superior format has to be graded with higher standards. I agree the reviewer can't fully appreciate the benefit of the format because an important (well, THE most important) component is lacking, but there are many others out there without HDR displays that can fully appreciate his impressions and the effort he put into the review.

I give him a 2 out of 5 for the technical sections of this review, due to the cut and paste from earlier reviews (eg see Kingsman UHD review). The extra star above 1 because he did change at least a few words in the video part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks