What's new

Existing speakers with new Onkyo receiver; advice? (1 Viewer)

JeremyM

Auditioning
I currently have an old Fisher Dolby Pro Logic setup (can't beat the price of free!), which I'm looking to upgrade with an Onkyo TX-SR501 receiver refurb from ecost.com. The Fisher system came with two towers, each with a 12 inch woofer, a 5 inch mid-range, and a 3 inch (or so) tweeter. The surrounds that came with the system are junk, and I plan to replace them.

For the sake of my current budget, do any of you think running the Fisher towers would render acceptable performance for now, or should I start looking for new mains to replace my old towers?

From what I've read in the forums, it seems that speaker sets are generally sort of frowned upon, but has anyone had any experience with the Onkyo SKS-HT510 set? There's some refurbs over on ecost.com for 99 bucks, and I figured that, with the new receiver, they'd be a decent upgrade from my dated system.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
For $99.00 what can you loose that's a good deal. I've read only good things about the Onkyo HT510 speaker set. However, I'd only use those speakers in a room less than 250 sq. ft. If you have a larger space? then I'd start saving. The only other problem is the sub would not be as good as if you went the more expensive route by buying separates.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have the SKS-500 speaker set and I'm very happy with it. I even like the sub although most everyone else doesn't. Got mine at Fry's in July new for $129. Just remember that these sets retail for only $250-300 so don't expect them to sound like JBL's or the like. I bought mine as a stop-gap as well but think I'll have them much longer than expected because they sound so good. Gene

JeremyM

Auditioning
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm using my current setup in a small room, so it sounds like the Onkyo set should work out decently.

AaronJB

Second Unit
The Onkyo set is very nice, with pleasant sound quality and good build quality. They're not the best looking speakers, but that wasn't an issue for me.

What you'll have is a good transition situation. With that speaker set and the reciever, you can upgrade piece-by-piece, which is what I did. I just have the Onkyo center left, which is now serving as the back surround.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The Onkyo set is probably the best HTIB set for the buck out there. And $99 is an absolute steal. A friend of mine has this with a Sony receiver and it doesn't sound bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks