What's new

Exhaust fans (1 Viewer)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hola All,
Well I'm am finishing my basement into a dedicated home theater and want to install 2 exhaust fans. One for my projector hush box and one for my component cabinet. I know what I want to do, just not exactly how to do it or where to buy the parts

Hush Box: I will have an air intake in the projector hush box, run flexible vent tubing (with several bend to decrease noise transmission) to an exhaust port in another room. The exhaust port end will have the fan on it. I would like the fan hard wired but triggered by my Sony VPL-400Q 5v DC control (why sony picked 5v instead of 12v - who knows!!). Not a current concern, but will replace with a 12v trigger when I get a new projector.

Component cabinet: similar setup to above, but will be powered and triggered by the switched outlet on my receiver (Yamaha DSP-A3090)

So where can I buy the fans?. Looking for good CFM (>50) and low noise. I first thought about computer fans, but they all run off 12v. I checked the bathroom fans at Home Depot and Lowes, but they all seems overkill for what I need - plus their loud (unless you drop some cash), and the fans is at the intake end.

Basic question: Where can I buy 120v (household current) fans - preferrable at a resonable cost.

Thanks.

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any chance you can run a conduit to your cold air return. If you can do that then all you need to do is set your thermostat to fan on in your program and you will draw lots of air if needed. Personally if you are using your basement alot I would keep the setting of fan on anyhow since it will equalize the temp better and cut down on moisture. Good luck.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I just had hush box fans installed yesterday in my theater. My installer used a Broan bathroom exhaust fan to push air into the hush box from another room (storage space) and used a radon fan to draw air out of the hush box. They are about 14 feet away and use HVAC flexible duct. Both fans just hang off joists with bungee straps eliminating any vibration noise. I plan on leaving them run 24/7 so I don't have to worry about damage my Runco projector if they are forgotten or fail to turn on. I know the radon fan is designed to run forever.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions. I talked with an HVAC contractor and had already asked him about the cold air return option. He indicated that it was not a good idea (can't remember the specific reason).

The radon fans might be a good choice. Would like to have them activated by the trigger or a switched outlet on a component. Do you know what the CFM of the fans are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks