Excuse my Digital Cable ignorance, but….

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Pine, Oct 9, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I was recently at my Mom’s, replacing her old DVD player and noticed she now had a digital converter box. She said Comcast had come out and installed them for all their customers in her neighborhood. The Motorola unit only has the old composite RCA connections (Y/R/W) and no other video or audio out options. Her TV does have an S-Video input and could have benefited from an S-Video input from the box. Shouldn’t they offer a converter with “Component” video connections and digital out for audio. My brother and I are considering replacing her TV for Christmas, so the “Component” might be an issue later. Is it just a matter of asking, to get it? I tried to call Comcast to ask what is available for the same price point, but after holding for 22 minutes I gave up. Any feedback would be appreciated.

p.s. I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so moderator please move it as needed.

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Probably get more answers in the video section. But, yes you can get different boxes for your needs - just have to ask. Certainly they offer a HD box with even a DVI connection. That is the one I use.

Not sure you can get a SD box with S-video though.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Thanks CRyan, maybe someone will move it for me.

4. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

My old SD box had S-video on it but not digital audio or component.

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Is a "Digital Out" on this type of box just wishful thinking?

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I've been using an HD cable box from Comcast for over a year so I don't know if the non-HD box has a digital audio out, but the HD box has both coaxial and optical digital out for audio.

If you and your brother get her a new TV, you might even get an inexpensive HD capable model and get her HD service for $6 a month.

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I wish I can remember exactly, but before I had the HD cable box (Comcast), I had the older (Motorola) non-HD box when I just had the Digital Cable.

For some reason, I want to say that it didn't have component outputs on it, but I am not 100% positive.

The best thing to do is to suffer through customer service and see if you get a non-HD box with component outs.This is definitely a great suggestion. If you can't get component outs with the non-HD box, the extra $$ for the HD box, would be well worth having the component outs...especially if you get her a new tv that's HD-ready.

8. John Pine

John Pine
    Great info, thanks guys!

9. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

John,

Sound like my situation last year. I finally called up Comcast to come and switch out my old box w/o the appropriate outputs for my HT setup. The conversations I had with their CSRs were borderline hilarious (me="I want to hear digital sound, you know, HBO in Dolby 5.1. That's what I am paying for." Comcast CSR="Really sir? New box? You should already be receiving that audio feed digitally." ROTFL). I finally got through to someone who understood the technology and how it would connect with my HT and it was a nice little upgrade. They just had to find a correct (non-HD, but w/ all the digital outputs) box in their warehouse. Even my wife appreciates the difference in sound now. [Now if we can all band together and demand they stop compressing their signals....]

have fun,
    Pedro

p.s. want a Comcast tip? If you've been a cable TV/internet customer in good standing and live in an area with competition from Satellite/DSL, they will be willing to reduce your bill for at least 6 mos. Just tell them you are fed up with paying so much when the competition is cheaper. Of course this deal is not often touted in areas where Comcast has no competition. YMMV. I am saving $60/mo for 6 mos. Time to get a DVR(!)

10. John Pine

John Pine
    So...she needs a "non-HD box that has all the digital outputs". Excellent, that's the kind of inside info I'm looking for! Also, good tip on the price point. All they can say is no....right. Peter, u' da' man!

11. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

John-

I should have been more clear. She's not limited to a non-HD box. If that's all they have in stock, that's fine too. I just wouldn't let Comcast charge her extra for a HD box if you don't have an HDTV/monitor and they simply don't have an available supply of non-HD boxes w/ the right digital outputs. A couple friends of mine locally got HD converter boxes installed and are not being charged extra since the others were not available at the time.

-Pedro

12. John Pine

John Pine
    Pedro: Understood, thanks for the clarification!