What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Steve...O said:
Brad, the original Criterion Blob BD that Matt refers to is a keeper. That's not normally my genre, but it's a terrific presentation of a good movie. Plus anything with Olin Howlin is a must buy for me :)
Plus, of course, the wonderful Burt Bacharach theme song. I saw Burt perform this live in London a couple of months ago - absolutely wonderful. I've been singing it ever since.... "Beware of the Blarrrrrrrrb"!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
As of 10 hours ago, Twilight Time has limited purchases of The Blob (1988) to one per person (down from 3), per TT's Facebook page. Looks like they are going like hotcakes and they expect a sellout soon.

And that's with 5000 copies.

Glad I Got Mine.

Better hurry if you don't have it yet and want it,.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Placed my order during the first hour of availability yesterday...horror genre titles sell out especially fast at Twilight Time, even with the increased pressing run to 5,000...I knew I had to be quick for THIS one... :cheers:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Russell G said:
If I google SCreen ARchives, all I get is a blank screen saying : "The system cannot find the file specified."

I was able to access it using chrome on my android phone.

Ridiculous, but I got in my order for the Blob at least.

I really hate these limited edition discs. :S
A hint: instead of Googling "Screen Archives" Google "Screen Archives Twilight Time" - that will take you straight to the Twilight Time titles without having the go through the Screen Archives homepage.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Bob Cashill said:
Bacharach sings this in concert? Be still my heart!
He certainly does! It was part of a medley of his lesser-known early work. I'd say a large percentage of the audience (at London's Royal Festival Hall) had never heard it before!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Killer Elite arrived today.

I've had the French release for some time, but I just had to have this, simply because of the astounding Noon Wine.

TT's presentation of this Peckinpah teleplay is an unalloyed pleasure. I'd only ever previously seen this on a computer screen, via a hazy, black and white download.

To see it here, even in SD (which is not an issue), is bliss. Utter bliss. It could even be said that Noon Wine is a more pleasurable experience than The Killer Elite itself; and - watching this incredible rarity in all it's glory at last - I *will* say it...

SD Noon Wine might be, but the presentation is *much* better than I could have hoped - to see it in full colour (shot on film and video) for the first time hits all my pleasure receptors, as does the very pleasing DTS-HD MA sound, both of which give this Jerry Fielding scored piece a beautiful immediacy and presence, far more than any iffy download could possibly provide.

The cast is to die for, the story and direction are pure Peckinpah. It's truly wonderful. For Peckinpah fans this disc - two films, one of them a piece so vitally important in the Peckinpah story, and thought virtually lost for many years, plus a host of excellent extras - is nirvana. Even at the premium price it is an out and out bargain. Genuinely.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Noon Wine was the highlight for me in this set too John. Although the Fox remastered Killer Elite sure looked and sounded good...nevertheless...well..."meh." (TT was wise to double it up like this, because I doubt it could have stood very well on its own).

BTW, both films have commentaries by charter members of the 'Peckinpah gang' (Seydor, Simmons, and Redman). Considering their collective knowledge of all things Sam, that yack track took even TKE to another level of enjoyment. Definitely worth a listen...

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I watched "La bamba" and I'm not really happy with this disc. This is more often than not a grainy transfer. And this is apparently a dual layer disc. Then why is basically half the disc empty while the compression at an average 20 Mbit/s (and dips into 10-15 range) often struggles with the grain? This could have been easily avoided by raising the average bit rate to a far more healthy 30 Mbit/s or so, as was done for "Under Fire" which has no such compression issues as far as I could see. For 29.95 $ and practically no supplements I expect a good encoding with no obvious blocking and compression noise! Why was half the disc not used??

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Michel_Hafner said:
I watched "La bamba" and I'm not really happy with this disc. This is more often than not a grainy transfer. And this is apparently a dual layer disc. Then why is basically half the disc empty while the compression at an average 20 Mbit/s (and dips into 10-15 range) often struggles with the grain? This could have been easily avoided by raising the average bit rate to a far more healthy 30 Mbit/s or so, as was done for "Under Fire" which has no such compression issues as far as I could see. For 29.95 $ and practically no supplements I expect a good encoding with no obvious blocking and compression noise! Why was half the disc not used??
I can never understand why bit rates aren't adjusted to available space on the disc. I do video work and have a chart with time of disc/bit rate I use so I can maximize the bit rate. Certainly, bit rates aren't the whole story as far as disc quality goes, but they are part of it.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Well, it took me long enough to get around to Under Fire...

Although long familiar with Jerry Goldsmith's legendary score, until a week ago, the film itself remained unseen these past 30+ years. Now I've seen it 3 times in as many days:

[*]to finally experience the film itself
[*]to rewatch it with the Goldsmith tribute commentary
[*]to rewatch it with the director/editor commentary.
[/list]
Like many others here, I was thoroughly engrossed by this film, and can certainly understand why it has developed such a cult following. What surprised me most was how fresh it still felt...the writing...the direction...the performances...even the look of it. But what I can't praise enough is the thrill of this particular showcase, especially for someone encountering Under Fire for the first time. Those exclusive twin commentaries were as rich and rewarding as the film itself.

Just a great film and great presentation. Huzzahs all round!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks