1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time March/April 2015 Release Announcements

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 6, 2014.

1. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter

Steve
    Yes Alan. Let's wait and see. None of us knows exactly what tricks Belston and crew have up their sleeves. Ultimately, I trust that they wouldn't be revisiting this at 4k unless they felt there were significant gains to be made.

2. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    As I recall, "Star Wars" is a "dog" to many, as well.

Robin9 and lark144 like this.
  3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Isn't that exactly what they did with Patton?

lukejosephchung and ROclockCK like this.
  4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I wonder what the story is with...The Vikings. Such an obvious choice. I'm hoping MGM are giving it the Mad Mad World treatment. Well one can hope :)

5. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    Ha, true true. But in turn that demonstrates my point, in that the 2010 Patton looks absolutely nothing like the DVD Patton, unlike the TT Blu vs DVD situation we have with JTTCOTE.

6. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    Watched it last year on Netflix, and while the print looked good, I share the Medveds' "Fifty Worst Films" historical puzzlement that pagan Shebans did the Bunny Hop as part of fertility orgies. :blink:

7. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Then again, the rock monster refugees beamed from a "Transformers" movie into "Noah" puzzled me much much more. And who's to say where the bunny hop really originated.

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I know they don't have TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN and it was rumored that Criterion — no kidding — had BANANAS.

9. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Strong line-up yet again. Will be purchasing about 6-7 of these.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  10. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    My wallet just stomped out of the room and slammed the door.

11. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter

Steve
    Flowers. ;)

12. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter

Steve
    Everybody knows the bunny hop originated with the king of 'champagne music':

:P

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  13. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I sold my copy of TT JTTCOTE months ago with anticipation of a new 4K transfer. I'll probably wait till a review is done before buying.

14. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Well probably to very few given the enormous success of Star Wars.
    S&S was forgotten almost as soon as it was released. Unfortunate as it hoped to steal Ben Hur's thunder by opening shortly before it and of course S&S went no where.
    It is a sorry mess but you can at least play "spot Tyrone Power" which helps pass the time

15. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    By coincidence, having just ordered the Artificial Eye box sets of Truffaut including the complete Antoine Doinel cycle (and a particular favourite, Vivement Dimanche), I had just said to my wife Robyn that I only wanted now Day for Night, Wild Child and Small Change (aka Pocket Money).
    Bring them on! I can't imagine 'Day for NIght' will be neglected for too long....

16. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Looks like there are some who never forgot it. Wonder how many folks at the packed theater I saw it in as a kid remember it. Actually, "Star Wars" is much more a "sorry mess" to me. Well, it's being released in blu-ray after all, which is the important thing. And, as the old song goes "they can't take that away from me".

ROclockCK and ABaglivi like this.
  17. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    Well first of all, DRAT, DRAT and its DOUBLE DRAT!!
    That for the titles I was hoping for but didn't make it this cycle. No further explanation is necessary.

Now as to the March-April 2015 Twilight Time offerings, I have 3 titles under consideration (a little light on the selections this time for me).

First Men In The Moon (1964):
    As a NASA guy, I will find this movie (which I never saw) quite interesting. At this time in space exploration history (1964), the moon still held a aura of mystery and hopeful intrigue about it. This was all right before we started getting a good close look at the Moon so it was still free territory for all sorts of space farer imagination. Some movies in the 1950s used the Moon (or what we thought the Moon was like close-up) for some rather far-out stories with titles like Cat Women of the Moon (1953) and a later remake Missile To The Moon (1959). Most of these efforts were rather laughable, especially when viewed in modern times. Missile To The Moon made for some quite interesting MST3K fodder if I remember.

Eventually NASA lunar expeditions (Ranger, Surveyor, Lunar Orbiter and the manned Apollo missions) put to rest any myth that the Moon harbored a civilization of blue-skinned female beauty pageant contestants, all starving for human male companionship. Or a underground habitat for a giant hairy spider-like creature that was about as menacing as the Pirate Piggies on Dora the Explorer cartoons.

First Men In The Moon appears similar on the surface (judging from the Wiki article) to those 1950s efforts but takes a more serious, more believable tone. And that's really all I can say about this film until my future TT order arrives in March. I will say however that I detect some similarities between this movie and the two-part Star Trek TNG episode Time's Arrow (though without the time-phase travel angle). Not a exact parallel mind you but does leave me wondering if Joe Menosky, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor (all ST-TNG writers) didn't take some inspiration from FMITM.

April Love (1957)
    Well almost anything with a young Shirley Jones ( the woman who I wanted to be my Mom back when I was 11 during the Partridge Family series) is worth the $29.95 to get the Blu-ray. Will make a interesting comparison with the R&H classic Carousel.

Journey To The Center Of the Earth (4K Remastered): I currently own the Australian blu-ray which is the same transfer as the previous Twilight Time offering (which I missed out on not knowing that TT even existed back in 2013). Guess it is double-dip time for me on this and I'll soon have the Aussie blu for sale (unless a good friend of ours wants it).
    I was quite impressed with the PQ on the Aussie blu of this, so much in fact that I could easily ferret out the backdrops used in some scenes. Will be interesting to see what the new TT remaster will show.

OK now Twilight Time, how about King Creole (1958) for the May-June releases?

18. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    Yyyyyeah: As others have pointed out, the Nigel Kneale script and tongue-in-cheek Victorian trappings on this one will quickly put you out of the 50's Rocketship X-M "future speculation" mood--the fault, as Rock says, of the desperate marketing at the time--and back into its proper mindset, ie., "Schneer & Harryhausen do HG Wells". (George Pal did "Time Machine", and it's easy to get them confused.)
    As in, you knew, after Sinbad and the Argonauts, they HAD to get to Wells sooner or later, since they'd already done Jules Verne in "Mysterious Island". That's alllll you need to know. :cool:

ROclockCK likes this.
  19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Maybe U-Turn for me. Not much else interests me enough to spend the premium dollars on.

And only a "Maybe" since I'm still hoping to see a proper Stone boxset like Warner's released at least three times on DVD. You would think Stone would get one boxset on blu from Warner's by now, seeing as they've given Kubrick at least there blu-ray sets.

20. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    Wow. The Bounty and Remains of the Day for me. Great news.