What's new

Exclusive to Laserdisc - help compiling a comprehensive list! (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
In following Jo_C's post, here's more about E.T. on laserdisc:

- isolated score track with the complete John Williams score
- documentary contains the deleted scenes with Harrison Ford in a cameo as Elliott's principal

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
From my collection:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - Criterion - excerpt of THE MAKING OF 2001 featuring Arthur C. Clarke; scientist interview text from the original prologue; "2001 Hypothesis" by Gregory Benford; "2001 Retrospective" by Frederick I. Ordway III including hundreds of documents, memos and photos from the making of the film; Voyager I and II Jupiter Flybys; "Art and Reality," a montage of images from 2001 and NASA.
AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY - "BBC" music video, storyboards, costume design sketches, production photos and poster design concepts are not on the DVD.
BEATLEMANIA THE MOVIE - not on DVD
BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY - "Shout it Out" music video featuring Bill & Ted not on DVD
BOB ROBERTS - Pioneer Special Edition - Laserdisc commentary is unique. Original Saturday Night Live short not on DVD. LD back cover has notes by Gore Vidal.
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Signature Collection - to clarify, there are no individual deleted scenes on this set, they are integrated in the documentary. Some of this material was not included in the new documentary on the DVD.
THE FISHER KING - Criterion - Commentary, trailers, five deleted scenes, analysis of four key scenes, costume tests
FLIRTING WITH DISASTER - Closing credits sequence on Laserdisc is unique, with two scenes not in the theatrical release or on the DVD.
THE FRIGHTENERS - Signature Collection - Extended cut of film; four-hour documentary including extensive storyboard collection, outtakes, deleted scenes
GHOSTBUSTERS - Criterion CAV - one deleted scene on side 1 was not included on the DVD: the Ghostbusters in the stairway before entering their office on campus; special effects comparisons unique to LD; Theatrical teaser unique to LD.
GLENGARRY GLENROSS - Pioneer Special Edition - Commentaries by James Foley and Jack Lemmon not on DVD; laserdisc packaged with a copy of the play
THE GRADUATE - Criterion - Audio essay (commentary) by Howard Suber; CAV version may have other features
IMAGINE: JOHN LENNON - Not on DVD.
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (Beatles) - DVD version is edited, reframed and has a different soundtrack.
EL MARIACHI - English dub track not on DVD - I believe this dub was supervised by Robert Rodriguez.
MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL - Criterion - Japanese dub track and animated photo montage
THE PLAYER - Criterion - commentary by Robert Altman, Michael Tolkin & Jean Lepine; video interviews with Altman, Tolkin, Tim Robbins, Greta Scacchi and Whoopi Goldberg; video interviews with screenwriters; Altman filmography; photo history of Hollywood films; production stills
POLYESTER - Criterion - John Waters commentary; Bonus track of John Waters reading excerpts from SHOCK VALUE; POLYESTER production scrapbook; "Love Letter To Edie"; From the John Waters Collection, Wesleyan University Cinema Archives; Packaged with Odorama card
ROSENCRANTZ & GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD - Not on DVD.
SCREAM - Director's Cut
STAR WARS TRILOGY - The Definitive Collection - Sporadic commentary with George Lucas, Dennis Muren, Ben Burtt, Ken Ralston, Ralph McQuarrie, Frank Oz and Don Beis; trailers; Lucas interviews; Ralph McQuarrie art; Tour of the Lucasfilm Archives; Ben Burtt interview (sound effects); storyboard comparisons; Dennis Muren interview (special effects); "Lapti Nek" music video (deleted scene)
STRANGE DAYS - Production stills and artwork not included on DVD.
THIS IS SPINAL TAP - Criterion - The photo, promotional and document archives were not ported to DVD; A live performance "From The Spinal Tap Archive" is only on the laserdisc
TOY STORY - box set - Original Pixar short films
I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND - Not on DVD.
YELLOW SUBMARINE - MGM laserdisc from 1987 features the original theatrical cut of the film, which has several minor changes from the restored version on DVD (some pieces are only on this LD).

Jo_C

Second Unit
Correction for Derek Miner:

"Yellow Submarine" on LD (the first issue) is actually the domestic U.S. version without the "Hey, Bulldog!" sequence (from the original unedited European release), and with brief sequences of different animation. The restored version (the aforementioned European release) was later issued on LD. But the first issue remains a collectors item as it is the only LD release of the U.S. version.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't the E.T Doc on the DVD have the deleted scenes in it? It definately has the Harrison Ford scene. The is the 'A Look Back...' doc BTW. It's 40 mins+. How long was the LD version?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"1776"-Original restored cut (and the only version of the film worth watching IMO) with full version of "Piddle, Twiddle And Resolve". Isolated score minus vocals; Commentary track with Peter H. Hunt and our own Joe Caps. (You'll never hear this kind of polite conversation between them again)

"Jason And The Argonauts" (Criterion Collection)

"Thunderball"-LD Boxed set has vintage 1965 documentary "The Incredible World Of 007" not included on DVD.

"The Ultimate Oz"-John Fricke commentary track and correct presentation of "Jitterbug" supplement.

"The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes"-Isolated score.

"The Omen"-Isolated score.

"Ben Hur"-35th Anniversary Boxed Set. Different trailer and isolated score.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Also to the list of those only available on LD:

Samson And Delilah (1949) (Paramount)-With isolated music/effects track.

Quo Vadis (1950) (MGM)

Green Mansions (1959) (MGM)

Wreck Of The Mary Deare (1959) (MGM)

Skyjacked (1972) (MGM)

Phil_L

Second Unit
I believe the Criterion Box Set LD of Evita had exclusive material not available on DVD.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A few cinematic 'gems' that made it to Laser but haven''t made it to DVD:

Give My Regards To Broad Street - the Paul McCartney movie from the early 80s

Let It Be - the documentary on what turned out to be the final days of the Beatles

The Silent Partner - Canadian thriller with Donald Sutherland and Christopher Plummer

The above three were all pan & scan, but the following was in widescreen:

Lost Horizon - the musical version from 1971 with Peter Finch and Liv Ullman

Harry

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
The John Wayne western 'The Comancheros' has, on LD, an
enjoyable round-table commentary from four of the
supporting actors in the film. Unfortunately,
I believe the commentary has been omitted from
the DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how about the criterion FISHER KING?
i'm sure it includes deleted scenes and an commentary.

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I had no clue Laser Discs had Extra Features, Commentary Tracks, or that Cirterion did those too...

Seems like an interesting thing to try and collect... :)

-Owl

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?: Autographed Limit.Ed Fox SE LD[8356-85]

Commentary by Sydney Pollack and by Jane Fonda, Irwin Winkler, Martin Baumn Bonnie Bedelia, Michael Sarrazin, Red Buttons and Sydney Guilaroff

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Doesn't the E.T Doc on the DVD have the deleted scenes in it?
The Harrison Ford scene is included partially on the DVD documentary, but the laserdisc included some different sections of it. Neither doc has the full scene uncut. The LD also shows the original ending with the communicator on the roof and Melissa Matheson's cameo as a nurse.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
THE GREAT ESCAPE CRITERION. Commentary and supplementals

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.... The DVD lacks the OPERATION UNDERSEA doc produced for wonderful world of disney.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Another one I came across in my collection:

Tootsie - theatrical trailer has narration only, no music; interviews with Dustin Hoffman on the film; news wrap

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Here is a list of movies where the LD is BETTER than the DVD. All of these titles had a widescreen LD. The New dvd is Full Screen
Ace Ventura
Blank Check
Bodyguard
Boiling Point
Clean and Sober
Doc Hollywood
Death Becomes Her
Deathtrap
Fair Game
Fearless
First Kid
Forever Young
Free Willy 3
Getting Even With Dad
Goofy Movie
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Guilty By Suspicion
Happy Gimore
Heavyweights
Homeward Bound The Incredible Journey
Honey I Blew Up the Kid
House Arrest
Joe's Apartment
Jungle 2 Jungle
Larger Than Life
Look Who’s Talking Now
Mo Money
Michael
Made in America
Man of the House
Moonstruck
Muppet Christmas Carol
Muppet Treasure Island
My Fellow Americans
My Girl 2
Operation Dumbo Drop
The Paper
The Shadow
Sudden Death
TimeCop
Wagons East
Wrongfully Accused

This next list of movies had longer cuts or extras that are not on the new dvd's

The Alamo (ld has a longer director's cut
Dead poet's Society (LD has longer tv cut)
Frightener's (LD Has Director's cut, documentaries and more
Gettysburg ( LD has a director's Cut)
Ransom (LD has a director's cut)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Here's a few that I don't think has been mentioned-

The Great White Hype (not on DVD)
Crimson Tide (LD has a featurette that isn't on DVD)
Trainspotting Criterion (commentary and deleted
scenes that aren't on the region 1 DVD)
Tootsie Criterion (Sydney Pollack commentary that
isn't on DVD)
Hoffa (not on DVD)
Other People's Money (not on DVD)
SE7EN Criterion (different commentary from DVD)
License To Drive (not on DVD)
Private Resort (not on DVD)
Summer School (not on DVD)
Tin Men (not on DVD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks