Exclusive Law and Order DVD set at Barnes and Noble

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Silver, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

TVshows on DVD reported about a special 2-disc L&O DVD set that was released yesterday exclusively to Barnes and Noble. Being an L&O freak I went out and bought it today. It is comprised of 8 episodes specifically selected by Dick Wolf from Season 2 through 13.

This lead me to 3 thoughts:

1) What does this mean for the release of future box sets ?

Answer: Hopefully nothing and they will finally announce Season 2 sometime soon.

2) I wonder if this was the rumored "best of" that was previously announced and then pulled. If yes, does that mean there is another one on the way since they had announced 2 "best of" sets ?

3) Is anyone else bothered or worried about these "exclusive" store only deals, especially when they are so poorly advertised.

I'm putting this out with the hope that either Dave Lambert or Gord will have an answer to the 1st two questions.

Also, as an L&O fan I ask everyone to go out and buy this so that they will continue to put L&O out on DVD.

2. Mark Silver

Giving this 1 bump, then I will give up.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Usually I hate "bumps" here at HTF, but for once I'm glad you did it. I somehow missed this thread entirely! [​IMG]

Answers, to the best of my ability:

1) Frankly, I don't have a clue, but I tend to agree with you that it means nothing and has no bearing on whether or not Universal continues to release season sets for this show in general retail release.

2) COULD this be one of the items that was announced and then pulled? I just don't know. I confess to not being familiar with this show, but the "Wolf's picks" premise of the B&N release sounds drastically different than the titles of the cancelled items, which were Badge of Dishonor and Organized & Unsolved Crimes. A L&O fan may feel free to correct me, but I think that this is unrelated. In fact, I doubt Uni had even started too much work on those cancelled items.

3) I'll let Gord speak for himself, if he sees this and chooses to. But he was filling me in the other day on a similar conversation he had with a person at a studio that has done a few of these exclusive releases, and who wondered about how few people seemed to know about them.

Frankly, though, that's our job (Gord and mine) to help TV show fans to find out about them. And we can't find out about them without you guys' help! That's one of the reason why I was so profuse in my thanks to Jason Dooley in the news item about the B&N release...we definately would have been behind the 8-ball on that info if it wasn't for fan reports. So keep them coming!

As I mentioned above, I haven't been catching this series. And I'm not really into best-of releases, but in this case I'm tempted to go pick it up and see what the show is like, and why all you guys praise it so much. If I'm into it, then I can ask for the reduced-price L&O S1 set as a Christmas gift! [​IMG]

4. Mark Silver

Dave, I can't urge you strongly enough to pick this set up. I think it could get you hooked on the show. The set will give you a decent flavor of the show and it is a very cheap introduction. $20.00 for 8 episodes is much cheaper than most if not all TV fare. Especially when you think that certain devotees (read me) paid $20.00 each for the pilot episodes of the 2 spinoffs.

Besides if you get into it, you can L&O Season 1 as well as Season 1 of the two spinoffs at the end of the month.

FYI for some reason they have named this set L&O: Crime Scene. I'm a devoted fan and I still I don't get the reference. EVERY episode in the show has a crime scene. The only partial "theme" I can see is that the episodes are some of the "issue" episodes that L&O likes to deal with from time to time (ie hate crime, death penalty, punishment of criminal minors, etc.