What's new

Interview Exclusive Interview: Robert A. Harris & Kevin Koster on the Restoration of My Fair Lady (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
You've got to hand it to Dave for looking on the bright side, but his story reminds me of the phrase "contempt for the audience". I'm sure none of this is intentional, but that is what your $30 buys. Sad. While I believe in a fair days pay for a fair days work, the majority of "theaters", in my experience, are barely manned, let alone manned competently. I can't bring myself to fully lay blame though, because, as Dave said, there was no one else there, and like it or not, it's the way things are now. Maybe there was no immediate cleanup because the "staff" didn't expect anyone at the showing. As for the 4K, a lot of theaters are still using 2K systems, and it's plain and simply good enough for most people. The film and its presentation deserves to be seen in high quality though, and maybe the studio should have booked only into 4K capable theaters - I'll get ready to put on my flame suit for that comment, 'cause I know its coming. The closest theater to me is a 16 auditorium multiplex, and is showing the movie tomorrow night at 7PM, and it will be in 2K. The wind is going out of the sails.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to hear David's story. I was lucky enough to meet up with Mike Frezon and his lovely wife Peggy at the Spectrum in Albany, the local arthouse theater, for a 7 PM showing tonight. Other than the red glow of the exit sign on the far left side of the screen, and some minor vertical banding from the projector that was mostly only visible during the trailers and vintage promotional feature, it was a wonderful presentation.

It was a 2K presentation, but the picture was crystal clear with wonderfully vibrant colors that really showed off the incredible costumes and sets. I saw details I'd never noticed before, like minor wobbles in some of the extras in the choreographed numbers with freeze frame beats. The real wonderful surprise, though, was the sound. It sounded amazing, better than I thought the film could ever sound. Just absolutely crystal clear, with no aberrations to pull you out of it.

RAH and his team deserve all the kudos they've received and more. I'm thrilled that I got to experience this one on the big screen, in better condition than I could have hoped for.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Wayne: We missed ya!

gallery_286742_34_41458.jpg

From left to right: Adam Lenhardt, Audrey Hepburn and Mike Frezon.

Adam (as always) nailed it. Outside of a couple of theater anomalies, the presentation was phenomenal. When the opening overture started after the little featurette, it filled the small theater in which we saw MFL. The sound was just stunning. For me, that was the most exciting part of the entire presentation. There were about 25-30 people in our audience.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dr Griffin said:
You've got to hand it to Dave for looking on the bright side, but his story reminds me of the phrase "contempt for the audience". I'm sure none of this is intentional, but that is what your $30 buys. Sad. While I believe in a fair days pay for a fair days work, the majority of "theaters", in my experience, are barely manned, let alone manned competently. I can't bring myself to fully lay blame though, because, as Dave said, there was no one else there, and like it or not, it's the way things are now. Maybe there was no immediate cleanup because the "staff" didn't expect anyone at the showing. As for the 4K, a lot of theaters are still using 2K systems, and it's plain and simply good enough for most people. The film and its presentation deserves to be seen in high quality though, and maybe the studio should have booked only into 4K capable theaters - I'll get ready to put on my flame suit for that comment, 'cause I know its coming. The closest theater to me is a 16 auditorium multiplex, and is showing the movie tomorrow night at 7PM, and it will be in 2K. The wind is going out of the sails.
Only about 10% of venues are 4k. Agree on all points.

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Harris said:
Only about 10% of venues are 4k. Agree on all points.
10% is lower than I thought. 4 of us will be going tonight, but never been to this theater, so not sure what to expect - it adds to the anticipation.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dr Griffin said:
10% is lower than I thought. 4 of us will be going tonight, but never been to this theater, so not sure what to expect - it adds to the anticipation.

Unfortunately, with the exception of certain known, high quality venues, going to the cinema these days has gotten quite like pulling off a highway on a long trip, to the only spot where one might safely spend the night.

Once you enter the parking area, under that big signs reading " otel," and "Vac ncy," you never know what's next.

RAH

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I'm torn... I bought my ticket in advance for Wednesday night at the Bow Tie Chelsea in New York... I foolishly assumed it would be 4k. Now that I know that it isn't (and especially after hearing David's story), I'm debating about taking a bus tonight across the river to New Jersey see it at the Edgewater where it is purportedly in 4k... and then "eating" tomorrow night's ticket... but it's a hike for me... and frankly I'm tired after a full day's work... and I'd be going alone... and taking a Jersey Transit bus (no car for this Manhattan resident). The whole thing just underwhelms me...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
As a (former) projectionist/programmer who no longer has film to run, the reports of so many of these shows being run in a shoddy manner is infuriating to me. By going digital they've eliminated the variables of print condition and operator skill. By going digital they've opened up new areas of perfectly timed and automated systems (lights, curtains, etc.). But the one thing they didn't bring over was any attention to the craft of showmanship: what the audience sees and how they see it. Showmanship doesn't cost anything once the elements are in place - all it takes is the desire to do it right. Even when I was forced to run a DCP show I made sure all the lights and curtains were timed properly (my booth didn't have automation for film or digital) - those were the easiest shows to run.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Wayne: We missed ya!

gallery_286742_34_41458.jpg

From left to right: Adam Lenhardt, Audrey Hepburn and Mike Frezon.

Adam (as always) nailed it. Outside of a couple of theater anomalies, the presentation was phenomenal. When the opening overture started after the little featurette, it filled the small theater in which we saw MFL. The sound was just stunning. For me, that was the most exciting part of the entire presentation. There were about 25-30 people in our audience.
Was this the theater on Delaware Ave.? I lived around the corner from that one when I was a kid in the 70's. Thought Schenectady and Bowtie would be a better venue since it is right next to Proctors and got decent reviews. The theater itself looks good from the outside and has a nice big lobby and everything, but it clearly doesn't get a lot of Sunday night traffic as there weren't many other movie goers there for other movies either. An usher or whatever they're called these days did walk in to check on us twice during the movie also

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
Too spooked to go see this at an unknown theater tonight. Found it playing on Nov. 1st at a Cinemark XD that is farther away, so we're waiting.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I really wished I had followed this thread so I could have tried to see this movie in the theater. After reading the interview on all the work and what went on during the restoration process. This movie is getting put in the top 5 blu-rays to buy the moment I have cash available to purchase movies and I would be willing to buy it again in UHD if it is released on UHD Blu-ray. If a theater in So Cal shows this film again I will make sure to go see it!

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As I reported last week; my first attempt at attending "My Fair Lady" had led to the event being cancelled 25 minutes after it was supposed to start.

They had no idea how to run the film at all.

It all ended with the manager giving out refunds plus an additional free pass to other movies within their theater.

Nonetheless, this theater in Dedham, Massachusetts has not detoured my enthusiasm one iota.

I found two other theaters showcasing "MFL" this Saturday and Sunday (Oct. 24th and 25th).

Can't wait.

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
I'm in Las Vegas, and I see we have screenings of this coming in November as well. I have always wanted to see this on the big screen. Can anyone tell me how the intermission is handled at the screenings? Are there instructions for the theater to stop the film for the break, or do we skip it like many Cinemark Classic Series screenings?

This will make or break seeing the film in the theater for me. For the recent screening of The Sound of Music here, people got up and left in the dark when the intermission screen came on. House lights never came up. They all came back in surprised to find the film had resumed, finding their seats in the dark, and missing some of the movie. It was distracting and unfair to all of us. I know this is a new company bringing My Fair Lady and Oklahoma! in November. If someone who has seen a screening, or someone who is involved could shed some light, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Mark

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There is a 10 minute intermission (with countdown clock) built into the file that the theater plays.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, I must be a glutton for ... I don't know what ... (My Fair Lady?) ... because I'm going back this afternoon for more.

And as this will also be my first visit to an Alamo Drafthouse, whatever happens, it will be an Experience.

Ticket purchased. Can't back out now. The fasten seat belt sign has been illuminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjjj72