1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Exclusive Interview: Robert A. Harris & Kevin Koster on the Restoration of My Fair Lady

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Clark V. Kauffman

Clark
    And here's my favorite version of the original Broadway cast album: a boxed set of 45 rpm discs, with complete liner notes inside the box. I bought this so I could have the complete Broadway version on my jukebox, a 1961 Seeburg Q100.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    Here's some photos from tonight event.

[​IMG]

Robert Harris, Ken Ross and Robert Zohn

[​IMG][​IMG]

SAhmed, MarkA, Stephen_J_H and 8 others like this.
  3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    What a nice evening! I was a little surprised to find myself the only HTF'er at the event. I had to make a run into the city yesterday so it was convenient to stop in Scarsdale on the way home -- but I absolutely would have gone anyway. Y'all missed a mouth watering presentation of sample clips of MY FAIR LADY shown simultaneously on a variety of calibrated flat/curved panel displays, and in a mindboggling-ly (for me) beautifully uprezzed-to-4k projection. And certainly not least, it must be noted that Messrs. Zohn and Harris were the perfect hosts!

Since these things always interest me, yesterday morning I double-checked on where I'd seen MY FAIR LADY in its road show engagement. It was the Lincoln Theatre in Miami Beach (it's now a shop, and it looks like they've preserved the exterior and the bones of the interior to a decent degree). So, as I stood in front of a beautiful 70-inch OLED display, and then the large projected display, I filled my field of vision with what I felt represented the size of that 70mm image in 1964. You know what? This will come as no surprise, but ... RAH has done it again. I was transported right back to that Golden Age.

The clips offered a loverly sampling of what the film and restoration offer, including the main titles (more beautiful than ever); bright scenes (notably Ascot) and dark scenes -- all with jaw-dropping gradations of light and dark; intricately rich and detailed scenes (Higgins' library and an astounding array of patterned wallpapers, rugs, smoking jackets and the like); and several before/after split screen comparisons of the first BD and the restoration. Nothing went by too fast to allow one to gaze for a moment and study a particular thing, and the whole loop unobtrusively ran throughout the evening, allowing for concentration and, most importantly, conversation. Well done, gentlemen.

I hope the theatrical presentations are well-attended. I REALLY hope the Blu-ray sells like hotcakes because there can never be enough of this kind of endeavor. This one's a no-brainer -- but it needs to be a no-brainer for more than just us here in these forums. I know that what a restoration and release like this one does for me is (cliche alert!) priceless. I hope it reaches out to many many others as well.

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Love those promo records!

5. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    Looks like a nice intimate setting. I would have loved to been there. I found out about it too late, if I'd had a week's notice I could have swung it. Next time!

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Definitely looks like a gathering at which the elite meet to fete a great feat! :D

Looks like everyone had a wonderful time.

SAhmed and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  7. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    And to think New Yorkers and others this weekend will be viewing MFL for the first time at multiplexes and malls-
    They done the old woman in!

Dr Griffin likes this.
  8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The Castro in San Francisco will be showing it twice on Sunday in what I can only assume (and hope) is a 4k version. Unfortunately, my car's in the body shop after an accident, and it's a little bit far to walk.

9. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

10. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    To see Professor Higgins you must take a taxi; just as Eliza would have.

Otherwise, introduce a friend to the world of restoration and to "My Fair Lady".

Offer to purchase the tickets in exchange for giving you a ride.

And for good measure, you may also want to throw in a glass of Port.

But either way, brother, it's on Sunday.

So...

"Kick up a rumpus, but don't loose the compass

and get [thee] to the [4K] church on time".

11. octobercountry

octobercountry Stunt Coordinator

Fred
    Okay, now I'm excited---I just found out that this will be playing at a theatre within traveling distance, on a date when I could possibly attend a showing. Woohoo! Let's see if I can get out to a viewing. For those seeing it this weekend, I'd love to hear your opinion of the presentation.

12. John Gilmore

John Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

John Gilmore
    And, in what is probably the most random double feature ever, the Castro will be pairing My Fair Lady with Steve Martin in The Jerk???!!!

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

15. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    But everything's cool now, and there won't need to be a third massive save in 2034, right? ;)

16. seangood79

seangood79 Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I don't know, I hear this version isn't 3D.

17. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Peter Rohlfs
    Just saw the restoration in 4K at the Edgewater Commons in NJ. The level of detail and color was amazing!!
    -Peter

18. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    It will never equal the experience of seeing it in 70mm upon its original release. Those were the days.

19. Stu's Cheesecake

Stu's Cheesecake Auditioning

David
    Attended the screening in NYC yesterday at the Bow Tie Chelsea. Picture looked good with shallow Stereo sound. It seems they just threw it up on the screen, sadly.

Can't attend the Symphony Space screening on the 20th. I imagine it will be a better presentation. Can't wait to see it on BR next week.

20. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    I took my wife to see this yesterday as it is one of her favorite films and I have never seen the whole movie before. We purchased our tickets from Fandango online for the Bowtie Cinema in Schenectady, NY about an hour drive from us for $15 apiece because we didn't want to risk the film being sold out. (At the time I did not realize that I would be missing my Mets playing the Cubbies in game 2 of the NLCS, but that is the sacrifice I made for my wife and have the game recorded even though I caught the end on radio when we came out). We arrived at the theater for the 7:00 show to find that it was showing on their smallest screen in the theater. It is a good thing we went otherwise the film would have played to no audience!! The theater didn't even bother cleaning up after whatever showed before MFL because it looked like someone had dumped a couple of large buckets of popcorn all over the floor, which did not get cleaned up. Otherwise, it was quite an enjoyable film and looked nice enough and obviously we had our pick of seats. The film was projected onto the 1.85:1? (I think) screen with letterbox bottom and top and slight, maybe a few inches of letterboxing on each side and we were sitting about half way back and up 2 rows from the floor in stadium seating. I could see pixel structure on most scenes confirming that this was not a 4K presentation. I did not notice any damage or dirt on the print which was a testament to the restoration. Most of the time I found myself drawn into the film and not concentrating on the look and sound. Sound was quite good for a film this age and I thought I even heard some surround sound when the horses raced across the screen. Overall an enjoyable experience, however it would have been nice if the theater had cared about presenting it, and if word had gotten out that it was showing. We only knew because I saw this thread here on HTF. Of course I will also be purchasing the BD for my wife when it comes out. Thanks to all who made this possible as my wife really enjoyed seeing one of her favorite movies in a movie theater.