1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Exclusive Interview: Robert A. Harris & Kevin Koster on the Restoration of My Fair Lady

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    So, finally, a good mandatory reason to get my bloomin' arse down to the Alamo in Yonkers.

Interesting, though ..... no 4k showing in New York City.

2. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    Wow, I lucked into a 4K showing.

And considering the theater wasn't even on the list when I first checked it about a month ago, that's not too bad.

/already bought the ticket. The recently added local theater showing, the screenshots from the interview, a matinee showing, it was all too good to pass up.

3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

True story: within the last year I asked the manager of my local high end theater if they were 2k or 4k, and he said "I think we're 6k".

Thanks to RAH for the list .

telzall, Stephen_J_H and PMF like this.
  4. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    The speakers also go up to 11.

5. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    RAH:
    I think you missed one (unless you're listing only the 4K locations):

Cobb Theatres 16
    Merritt Square Mall
    Merritt Island, FL

Only 4 miles from my condo. Lucky Kyrs and I.

EDIT: oh, my bad. Never mind.

Though being a rather new theater, I wonder if Cobb MI is a 4K theater?

6. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    Why oh why isn't the Ziegfeld showing this like they did in 1994? Or even Lincoln Center's Walter Reade where I saw Heavens Gate 3 years ago. A real shame.

telzall and PMF like this.
  7. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Forgive me if this was answered elsewhere but what style case will be used? Is it a Diamond Luxe style case? also it almost looks like the images for the case make it seem DVD sized? Hoping for Blu-Ray sized case.

I wish a collector's edition box set was created much like Lawrence of Arabia and featured the classic poster artwork. Just shocked there was no BOX set option.

telzall likes this.
  8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Great interview, very informative, more like this please.

9. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Dear Robert A. Harris,

Thank you for taking the time in capturing and supplying the HTF membership with the complete list of theaters showing "My Fair Lady" in 4K.

I am so thrilled and encouraged to see that restorations are finally being showcased en masse and given their proper due. I believe that this year, alone, sets a record for the exhibitions of so many classics and/or restorations. "The Sound of Music", "Psycho", "My Fair Lady", "Oklahoma" and "Fantasia". Wow. Did I miss something? Indeed, as I am pondering the question as to why "Spartacus" has not yet received its due for a nation-wide theatrical distribution, as well?

Anyway, you know my feelings about both of your "My Fair Lady" achievements in restoration; being 1994 and 2014. So, as I earlier posted, I wouldn't turn my back on a 2K theatrical showing of "MFL", either. For the fun of it, I intend to view your restoration at a theater displaying "MFL" in 2K on October 18th; and then, I will attend a 4K presentation on the following Wednesday. I will find it very interesting to take in the ascensions of both formats and count that as another lesson in film restoration and how our technology has advanced. Furthermore, and for the record, I will also be purchasing the 4K/BD. I believe you stated that support for film restoration can happen by attending the film theatrically and purchasing the BD exclusively through Amazon; so I intend to triple that support with two theatrical viewings and one BD purchase.

Please alert the HTF membership as to other ways we can financially lend our support to film preservation.

Sincerely,

PMF

10. octobercountry

octobercountry Stunt Coordinator

Fred
    I'm curious---what was the source for the list of theatres showing "My Fair Lady" next month? Because some of those theatres definitely are not showing up on the official MFL website, nor is the MFL screening listed on the home pages of the theatres in question.

Argh, I'm willing to support the film, but am having a hard time finding accurate information about just when/where it will be shown....

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    BYE

12. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Regarding SPARTACUS I believe that it had national showings last year as part of a classic films series. Of course it was not this new restored version but was complete. The showing I attended was error free except that the film actually looked like a muddy brown mess.

13. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Same here for the West Springfield, MA theater on Robert's list. Not on the BYE MFL screening page. In fact nothing on the BYE website about this release which seems odd to me. My wife would love to see this.

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Please consult the new (shorter) list above.

15. octobercountry

octobercountry Stunt Coordinator

Fred
    Argh---my entire STATE isn't listed on the shorter list at all! Surely that can't be correct... for some reason, I'm just having trouble finding any information about screenings of this film.

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    myfairlady50.com

17. Henry Gondorff

Henry Gondorff Stunt Coordinator

Bill
    Most cineplexes, when they converted to digital, put 2k in their mid to smaller houses and 4k, if at all, in the large houses. If you're in a small theater, you may not see a huge difference in 2k to 4k unless you're very close to the screen. Being in the front row, you're probably seeing pixels where you once saw grain. Several projector manufacturers, such as Barco and Christie, make both 2k and 4k models. Sony, I'm pretty sure, is only 4k. That was their unique selling point. Showcase Cinemas in the northeast went, at least initially, with Sony projectors in all houses. Again, other companies also make 4k equipment, but if you determine that a theater has Sony projectors, you can be reasonably confident you'll be seeing 4k.

18. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    If you only saw MY FAIR LADY for the first time in the nineties then you missed out on seeing the original 70mm film when it was first

released in 1964. The quality was truly amazing. The reissue in 70mm in 1994 was a disaster - extremely grainy and an embarrassment to all those who saw the original. It was truly a pity that you had to endure this 70mm reissue. My friends still talk about this woeful release even 21 years later.

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I'm confused by your statement, and must wonder what you saw. The 1994 prints were substantially produced from the original camera negative to 5243 positive and negative stock, which is virtually grainless. As was the print stock.

The only true grain that would have been seen for those prints would have been printed through from the camera original.

The prints had a slightly more velvety feel to them, as compared to the 1964 or 1970 prints, both of which had more obvious grain than the 1994.

As I recall we printed to the new 5386 stock, which had virtually no discernible grain.

RAH

Ryan Talbot likes this.
  20. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    You're not the only one who's confused - I wonder what Mr. Cinemiracle actually saw? Funny, I saw the film several times in 70mm during its run and I didn't find the 1994 70mm presentation problematic, and as you state, there was no grain just as there is little grain in any 70mm print - that's the point. One wonders if Mr. Cinemiracle just had a dim, bad showing somewhere or if he watched a home video version and presumed that's what it looked like in theaters. Odd.