1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITY WITH CRITERION: We Invite Your Participation

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 17, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    NIGHTS OF CABIRIA?

Ed Lachmann and PMF like this.
  2. Frank Bidart

Frank Bidart Extra
    Supporter

Are there plans to restore the Korda-Michael Powell version of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1940)? Restored photo-chemically many years ago, it's badly in need of sophisticated digital restoration. I thank the Criterion Collection for remaining (the recent release of THE HEIRESS demonstrates this) in every way exemplary. We're very lucky.

JimMiller, PMF, Darby67 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Name: Allen Hollis

While several labels mostly release transfers that are sent them, Criterion seems to give extra to their releases. How much additional work do you do on the transfers and what percentage of the titles do you work on.

Thank you.

Detour (1945), Brian Husar and PMF like this.
  4. Message #44 of 101 May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    First Name: Philip

In creating "Ingmar Bergman's Cinema", what was the greatest challenge faced;
    and, from concept to completion, how many years did the entire project take?

5. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    Name: Andy Budgell

I'm also curious to know whether we might see A Place in the Sun, or another Elizabeth Taylor film, released by Criterion?

6. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    With the dearth of Paramount catalogue titles, I wonder if they have any Paramount's in the pipeline, & also there's rumours about a new Great Escape coming from Criterion, any chance of a yea or nay on that one.

Detour (1945) and PMF like this.
  7. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    As a collector who regularly buys Region B and C titles, I am always excited when a title that has never had an HD release anywhere comes along. Any chance you might consider releasing the wonderfully restored 1916 Cabiria now residing in the Turin Museo Nazionale del Cinema vault? I'd love to see other silent gems owned by WB/Photoplay like Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Wind, The Crowd, The Student Prince or Greed. WB classics like Raoul Walsh's Land of the Pharaohs or Scaramouche would be a delight, too.

Detour (1945), PMF, B-ROLL and 2 others like this.
  8. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Name: Angelo Colombus

Any more Fellini or Truffaut coming soon?

PMF, B-ROLL and Darby67 like this.
  9. Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper Stunt Coordinator

Spencer Draper
    Thanks for this wonderful opportunity.

My film suggestions/queries would also be about older Laserdisc titles returning to the collection such as the John Woo classics. Otherwise it would be about titles with restored prints in archives but no video releases as of yet such as Holiday but also the Film foundation restored The Lusty Men, Anthony Mann westerns, the longer reconstructed version of Greed since the only video release is the shorter cut on Laserdisc, The Crowd which is only on Laserdisc, and perhaps the biggest missing one: an HD restoration of the compiled preservation print of Meet John Doe which has not had a single proper video release as even the vci disc is a copy of a not so good pal master.

My technical question would be: how does Criterion go about its audio cleanup and how does the label feel about the issue of overzealous noise reduction and loudness compression. In this day and age many will raise the cry of color timing issues or DNR overusage but very few take the time to study the audio track and compare it to original intents and earlier video releases. Audio for films has become so endangered in terms of overzealous cleanup that it resembles the early days of no noise for music on CDs and in some cases the loudness wars that continue in modern music mastering.
    It is this issue that has driven me into collecting so many laserdiscs which do not suffer this problem and the vast majority sound better than later format releases.

10. Message #50 of 101 May 19, 2019
    Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    Full name: Nick Zegarac

First, sincere thanks for finally releasing Bondarchuk's War and Peace to Blu-ray. Also, kind regards for the eclectic blend of deep catalog spanning many studio archives. Great work. Please keep it up. Can Criterion confirm a new deal with Warners to release more vintage MGM/RKO,WB product. Of particular interest here - The Great Ziegfeld, Around the World in 80 Days, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Advise and Consent, Camille, National Velvet, Scaramouche, Show Boat, Marie Antoinette, Random Harvest, Rosalie.

Is Criterion planning on releasing the remaining David Lean movies, Summertime, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Madeleine, and the Samuel Bronston epics, El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire, Circus World and 55 Days in Peking.

Also, are the Fox movies still in play, post-Disney's acquisition of Fox? Would love to see Robert Wise's Star! and The Rains Came finally get their long overdue release.

Finally, I would really love for Criterion to get its hands on Kevin Brownlow's 11-part documentary series from 1980: Hollywood: A celebration of the American silent cinema - one of the finest documentaries ever made about the silent era. This deserves a Blu-ray release!!!

Thanks for your time.

11. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Full name: Scott Saslow

Question: what decisions go into extras, specifically when to carry over old extras vs. producing new ones...? (I suppose the shift from text- to video-based supplements plays a part in that.)

Also: any chance of The Parallax View getting the Criterion treatment?

12. Message #52 of 101 May 20, 2019
    Filmgazer

Filmgazer Stunt Coordinator

Louis Helman
    Full name: Louis Helman

Since Criterion did such an outstanding job with their release of Billy Wilder's "Some Like It Hot" (1959), I was wondering if there was any chance you might release another Marilyn Monroe film, that being John Huston's "The Misfits" (1961)? If so, it would be great if you could include the fine 2001 PBS documentary "Making 'The Misfits'" that was released on DVD by Image Entertainment. Thanks!

13. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    What are the plans (if any) for Erich von Stroheim's 1928 silent classic The Wedding March?

Ed Lachmann and Detour (1945) like this.
  14. Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    Is there any chance that (rights permitting) the monthly schedule of Criterion UK releases will one day match the US one?

Detour (1945) and PMF like this.
  15. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Id like to know if there are plans for Blu ray releases for
    Equinox
    Fiend without a Face
    The Devil and Daniel Webster
    Great Expectations
    The Showa era Godzilla movies
    (which has already been asked but Im adding my 2 cents) Ive heard you may have acquired the Kraken Releasing Godzilla titles (Hedorah, GIgan, Ebirah) along with the good chance of getting King Kong vs Godzilla making it a complete set along with Rodan and War of the Gargantuas

16. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, The Devil & Daniel Webster, a genuine film masterpiece, & I'm sure I read somewhere that Criterion owns it. Can we have it please, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Detour (1945), JimMiller and atcolomb like this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Agent

Matthew
    You may refer to me as Matt B. Any of these questions can be asked if they haven't already.

What have been the projects that made you want to smash your head against the wall?

That's number one. Number two; how does a "teal lean" happen?

Detour (1945) likes this.
  18. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Full name Anthony Clarke
    Will Criterion consider releasing as a stand-alone Blu ray Leni Riefenstahl's 1936 classic 'Olympia'?
    Some of us simply cannot afford the massive Olympic Games blu ray set.

19. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

Patrick

Mr.Kline: Please consider offering 4K UHD blu-rays. I will support you.

PMF likes this.
  20. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    What criteria is used to add a film to their collection? For example, would they ever consider doing a 70's disaster film (Earthquake, Airport, The Swarm) given those film's particular niche in filmmaking history?

Detour (1945), PMF and Ross Gowland like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.