What's new

EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT: Twilight Time November/December 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mark-P said:
Oh my god! YENTL! Thank you, Twilight Time. I will pay you top dollar for that one!
Yep. Me too.PS...did they find the deleted scenes for Funny Lady?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
classicmovieguy said:
Now we're talking! One of my all-time favourite films. I'm hoping Criterion picks it up for a Blu release. Lightyears better than "Bunny Lake".
I have the R2 release of So Long At The Fair and it's in really rough shape though still highly watchable. It would need some major restoration work I imagine before Criterion would even touch it.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I have that release as well - looks a lot like the same transfer from the original Rank Video release (which I also have). The film is an absolute delight from start to finish.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
SO LONG AT THE FAIR, an early work co-directed by Terence Fisher a couple of years before he started with what became Hammer, BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING, another fine film by Otto Preminger towards the end of his long, wonderful career, I would hate to have to decide which I enjoy more! - according to TT, BUNNY is a 4K restoration so the black and white should shine.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
To my mind, 'So Long at the Fair' is the superior movie.
I too have the Region 2 DVD and would love to see a crisper restored version ... the casting of Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde is fabulous even if the love-interest doesn't quite work! It's a magical movie right from the opening scenes on the little boat.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I first discovered "So Long at the Fair" on the end of a recordable videotape, but it was only the last 15 or so minutes, including the scene where Jean returns to the hotel in that divine black lace mask. It fascinated me so I had to seek out the entire film. I go back to it at least several times a year.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yet another variation of So Long At The Fair/Dangerous Crossing/Bunny Lake/Flightplan was done for TV in 1955 in an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents called Into Thin Air with Hitch's daughter Pat who checks into a hotel with her mother and ..... well, you know the rest. It was very well done.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Thomas T said:
Yet another variation of So Long At The Fair/Dangerous Crossing/Bunny Lake/Flightplan was done for TV in 1955 in an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents called Into Thin Air with Hitch's daughter Pat who checks into a hotel with her mother and ..... well, you know the rest. It was very well done.
The Big Valley TV episode, "The Disappearance", is another with a similar plot, hotel and everything.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am a little surprised that The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie went to Twilight Time as it was one of films Fox was considering releasing themselves in last year's vote. I hope this does not mean others in the contest like "Two For The Road" end up as limited to 3,000 copies.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
So Long At The Fair, at best, may get a UK-only blu-ray but even that is a long shot. In NA the best we might get is a DVD port from VCI. I feel the film too obscure (relatively speaking) and isn't in the ownership of a company willing to put much money into a serious restoration.

Dangerous Crossing is a Fox film previously released on DVD so it's far more likely we'll see a blu-ray of that one.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I was never a fan of 'Funny Lady". I felt the character Streisand played had little resemblance to the character she played in Funny Girl. They might as well have given her another name. Also other than Omar Sharif, nobody but Streisand was in both films. What happened to her mother and friends from the first film? Since the real Nick Arnstein was dead by the time the sequel was made, they tried to make the character more like he was in real life in the sequel. Again the character doesn't match the first film. The two halves, "Funny Girl " and " Funny Lady " don't make a whole in my opinion.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
JoHud said:
So Long At The Fair, at best, may get a UK-only blu-ray but even that is a long shot. In NA the best we might get is a DVD port from VCI. I feel the film too obscure (relatively speaking) and isn't in the ownership of a company willing to put much money into a serious restoration.
About four years ago I was doing some work in a London faculty (in the evenings), & the suite next to me was just being used to store films they were working on. I was having a nose around (as you do) & one pile was, So Long At The Fair. I can't remember if it was original negs or fine grain pos, but like so many films that haven't been released on Blu, it's had the work done.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Garysb said:
I was never a fan of 'Funny Lady". I felt the character Streisand played had little resemblance to the character she played in Funny Girl. They might as well have given her another name. Also other than Omar Sharif, nobody but Streisand was in both films. What happened to her mother and friends from the first film? Since the real Nick Arnstein was dead by the time the sequel was made, they tried to make the character more like he was in real life in the sequel. Again the character doesn't match the first film. The two halves, "Funny Girl " and " Funny Lady " don't make a whole in my opinion.
Barbra only consented to "Funny Lady" because she owed 1 final film under her contract to Ray Stark. By most accounts she really didn't want to be there. When filming wrapped she presented Stark with a mirror on which she had written the words "Paid in full".

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Billy Batson said:
About four years ago I was doing some work in a London faculty (in the evenings), & the suite next to me was just being used to store films they were working on. I was having a nose around (as you do) & one pile was, So Long At The Fair. I can't remember if it was original negs or fine grain pos, but like so many films that haven't been released on Blu, it's had the work done
That sounds promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks