What's new

EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT: Twilight Time November/December 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well I took a hike over to Wiki and did a little research on Bunny Lake is Missing. I read the first few sentences and was so intrigued, I immediately stopped reading as I didn't want to spoil it for me (I've never seen the movie), preferring to wait till I get the TT copy.

I will say this (and please no spoilers beyond what I've already read) but there seems to be some opening similarities between Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) and Flightplan (2005), the movie with Jodie Foster. I have the Blu for Flightplan and now can't wait for the Bunny Lake Is Missing blu.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I thought "Bunny Lake..." was a crashing bore, and I normally really enjoy this type of film. I found that most of the performances and the overall tone of the film was just 'off', although I know full well I'm in the minority.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
classicmovieguy said:
I thought "Bunny Lake..." was a crashing bore, and I normally really enjoy this type of film. I found that most of the performances and the overall tone of the film was just 'off', although I know full well I'm in the minority.
My take as well. "Off" is exactly how I felt about it. I may revisit it with this release. But then again, maybe not.

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Bryan^H said:
The Twilight Samurai--Never have I seen a better Samurai movie...And I have watched many.Great news, and a big thank you to TT for bringing this gem to Blu-Ray
Agree. Hope they can eventually get the other two movies from that trilogy.

Will also be picking up:

Birdman of Alcatraz
Yentl
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"We don't know about *vocal* per se, but we do have a nice relationship with him and are releasing 3 of his films."Old DVD had audio commentary and deleted scenes. I assume these are included?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. Well I took a hike over to Wiki and did a little research on Bunny Lake is Missing. I read the first few sentences and was so intrigued, I immediately stopped reading as I didn't want to spoil it for me (I've never seen the movie), preferring to wait till I get the TT copy.

I will say this (and please no spoilers beyond what I've already read) but there seems to be some opening similarities between Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) and Flightplan (2005), the movie with Jodie Foster. I have the Blu for Flightplan and now can't wait for the Bunny Lake Is Missing blu.
You will not be disappointed in this film. It is well acted, directed, and filmed.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The plot of Bunny Lake Is Missing is hardly original or fresh. 15 years earlier there was So Long At The Fair with Jean Simmons but instead of a child, it was a brother but the premise is the same.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've seen them all before. But I'll be in for at least 3 or 4 this go round.

Hoping for commentary and/or other extra materials for any upcoming releases starring Spencer Tracy and Burt Lancaster. :)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Jari K said:
"We don't know about *vocal* per se, but we do have a nice relationship with him and are releasing 3 of his films."Old DVD had audio commentary and deleted scenes. I assume these are included?
Of course.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Interesting to see Yentl. The older dvd had both the director's cut as well as the theatrical cut...albeit both in cruddy 4x3 lbx. It also had a great bonus disc of extras including deleted scenes. Any chance that the TT blu of this will contain all of that stuff? Also, what cut will it include? It would be great if it had both cuts..ala the Major Dundee bluray. This is an amazing two month lineup! So many great titles.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Thomas T said:
The plot of Bunny Lake Is Missing is hardly original or fresh. 15 years earlier there was So Long At The Fair with Jean Simmons but instead of a child, it was a brother but the premise is the same.
I like "Bunny Lake" - it's a very entertaining film. I'm always reminded, when I see this film mentioned, of Noel Coward's comment when he was asked about working with the then rising star Keir Dullea-- "Keir Dullea - gone tomorrow."

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mark Pytel said:
Interesting to see Yentl. The older dvd had both the director's cut as well as the theatrical cut...ALBEIT BOTH IN CRUDDY 4X3 LBX.. It also had a great bonus disc of extras including deleted scenes. Any chance that the TT blu of this will contain all of that stuff? Also, what cut will it include? It would be great if it had both cuts..ala the Major Dundee bluray. This is an amazing two month lineup! So many great titles.
Mark, I was perplexed by your remark as I recalled Yentl on DVD as an anamorphic transfer. I pulled it off the shelf just to check and I was right. It is indeed anamorphic and not 4x3 letterbox.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
schan1269 said:
Depends which of the 4 DVD releases of Yentl he has.

The first two were 4x3. One was P&S. The last was "correct".
Which region were those put out in? The U.S. has had only one dvd release.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Funny.

Amazon has three of the US released DVD when you search "Yentl DVD".

The original one(currently, and thankfully, unavailable).
The 2008 cut.
The last "director's cut".

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Okay, going by my memory here so I stand to be corrected. There has only been "one" release of Yentl in the U.S. However, I seem to recall that after about a week (maybe 2) of its release, it was no longer being offered for sale by many sites, only to be available again a couple of weeks after that. Just a guess, but I suspect perhaps the original pressing was defective (the 4x3 letterboxing?) and pulled when that was discovered and the corrected anamorphic pressing replacements came soon after.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Weird. I see only the one. And then a few imports. The only U.S. dvd was the 2-disc set with the theatrical and director's cuts. There is no "2008 cut." That has to be an illegal disc of some sort. It didn't show up on my search.

Thomas, I bought mine day of streeting, and it's anamorphic.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Clarification...and "my bad"...

There were 4 NA releases. Two for the US. Two for Canada.

The Canadian release(their first) was LB, not 4x3.

Their first release was commonly sold here...as we had a shitty one.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Thomas T said:
Now we're talking! One of my all-time favourite films. I'm hoping Criterion picks it up for a Blu release. Lightyears better than "Bunny Lake".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks