1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Exciting New JBL Studiop Series Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

That appears to be the Studio S-38 in the aluminum color. And I certainly agree that it looks very good. If this is considered the new S series, lets just hope they retained the sound of the gold colored ones. IMHO, the aluminum color is better looking due to the contemporary nature of its color scheme (being very contemporary oriental myself). My brother has the gold S38 (has had for a year or so) and they perfectly fit and add a beautiful statement to his traditionally furnished/toned home (and his HT is killer).

In any event, the JBL S series are great and one of the few in its price range that (correction can be inserted here!) offer opposing and mirrored/ matched speaker placements that allows a little more leeway in alignments. On top of that, They really sound good paired with even the lower wattages. They benefit immensely with a good sub. They can be found for much less from some other online dealers.

3. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I hope the color is the only difference. I just purchased an entire JBL Studio Series system (the copper color ones).

4. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I found one difference that Crutchfield states. The depth of the original S38's is listed as 13-5/16", where as the "S38II" is listed as 13-1/4". Now granted this is only a difference of 1/16", but may signify that these are at least slightly changed. The finish also seems to be slightly different, black maple instead of black ash. That might be an improvement, as I didn't like the original finish up-close. I've been planning to get some S38's and S36's for my HT, maybe I'll wait and see what happens with the "II's"...
    [edit:] THere are also N24II's, N26II's, and S26II's. The S26II also seems to be 1/16" smaller in one dimension. More significantly the frequency response is listed at 40Hz-20kHz(!) instead of 48Hz-20kHz in the specs, but not in the features section. I would not be suprised in the slightest if these were just some typos and/or misprints, especially as they are listed as out of stock. I can't find any info on JBL's website during my quick look.
    Maybe all this has something to do with the Bose lawsuit? In that case the old ones might be the better of the two...
    The mystery continues [​IMG]
    -- Dave

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I noticed the difference in the dimensions as well, as noted in my previous post here. Originally I was thinking that the Series II speakers will ditch the FreeFlow port technology, which was the issue involved in the Bose lawsuit. But the FreeFlow port was mentioned in the description at Crutchfield. I am still thinking the porting of the speakers have changed because of the lawsuit, resulting in the change of the dimensions of the speakers. I hope JBL have improved upon two already successful speaker lines.

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

There's also a different protector on the tweeter, 2 or 3 bars instead of one. Don't know if it's a different tweeter design. These colors look much cooler, I think.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Nothing much from JBL excites me...[​IMG]