What's new

Excited to see the 80's Twilight Zone... (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Went to last night and could not find it. Even though according to their computers they had 3 in stock. Then, I went over to FYE, and they had one copy labeled at a sale price of 49.99 from 69.99. I snatched it up and went to the checkout. The cashiere called over another employee. He looked a little confused about something. Apparently FYE was having a sale on DVD boxsets at 25% off their regular price if the set was 49.99 or over. He was trying to figure out if it was cheaper for me to take 25% off it's regular price, the co-worker didn't think so, but then after he punched in some numbers, it came up 37.50! Well, that sounded like a deal to me!

I got the whole thing for 40.59 including tax. After I examined my receipt, I realixed that he gave me 25% off of the 49.99 sale price. I did not return to the store to point out his error.

Ric

Steven Gebs

Stunt Coordinator
I checked out a few episodes last night and was thoroughly entertained. I was expecting Paladin of the last hour to be really creepy/warped (trying not to read any of the summaries about the episodes so they seem fresh to me) but was really blown away by how much heart was in the episode. I admit I teared up a little bit, very touching.

The video transfer really isn't the best, but, I am just so glad I can actually watch these episodes again. I hope to check out a few more tonight.

This series is so much better than the UPN version. No comparison at all.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
I like 'The Shadow Man' episode a lot, remember it from 19 years ago (really? That long? No, can't be...).

"I am The Shadow Man, and I will never harm the one under whose bed I live"...

I'll get these, but not right away. Getting the originals as they come out... get the 80s series eventually... then I'll probably give in and buy the UPN series, too, to be 'complete' (but I only liked one or two of the 4 or 5 I saw... didn't seem like it was 'working', but... ).

Rutgar

Second Unit
I had a hard time finding it. Not because they didn't have any, but because the cover doesn't say anything about it being the "1985" Season One set. When I saw it yesterday, I thought it was the "2000" series of TZ. Today, when I still couldn't find it (after 4 stores), I looked at the fine print on the back. There I finally saw "1985". Idiots. There are so many different series and runs of this show, simply calling the package "The Twilight Zone - Season 1" on the cover was stupid. But, I finally got it.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Rutgar,

It makes it even more difficult when you are trying to explain to a store clerk which version it is, so he can go in tha back and look for it. My guy at Best Buy came back out with 3 TZ Collection 1 sets, from the last time they boxed up the original series. I fiannly went on the BB website with him to show him what the cover looks like. He still couldn't come up with it though.

Ric

Rutgar

Second Unit

Wasn't there a third Christmas story with this season? I recall an episode where a cop is chasing Santa Claus in his Sleigh, thinking he was a burgler (and it wasn't Night of the Meek). If anyone knows what episode this is, please reply. Even if it's from another season.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Right season, wrong series. The one you describe is from the very similar '80s series called AMAZING STORIES.

(And yes, we usually drag that VHS out every year, too!)

Actaully, in between "Night Of the Meek" and "The Star", there's another story called "But Can She Type?" Though the story itself can't be called a Christmas story, there IS a Christmas party within it. (And Star Trek TNG's Jonathan Frakes appears at the party.)

Rutgar

Second Unit

THANK YOU! I was beginning to think I had gone mad. I've scoured every TZ episode guide, and couldn't find the story. I knew I had the story recorded on VHS around the same time I had recorded "I of Newton". So, with 20 years of fogged memory, I thought it was a TZ episode (I've long since lost the tape). I had totally forgot about Amazing Stories. Spielberg, wasn't it?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yes, AMAZING STORIES was the Spielberg production. With his 'name', he managed to get a two-year commitment from NBC, but the show never really took off in the ratings.

Some episodes of AMAZING STORIES were quite memorable, and a few made it to home video and even LaserDisc. I have a couple of the LDs, among them the Spielberg-directed pilot/first episode, "The Mission" with then-unknown Kevin Costner.

Back to the '80s TWILIGHT ZONE, though, I WAS able to confirm that indeed the opening episode, which claims to be stereo, is, in fact stereo. I recall that this episode, "Shatterday/"A Little Peace And Quiet" was one of the first, if not THE FIRST regular prime-time broadcast of a network show in broadcast stereo. So few stereo TVs had been sold that CBS commissioned local FM stations to simulcast the soundtrack.

The next night, THE GOLDEN GIRLS became the second series in broadcast stereo. That prior summer, Johnny Carson's TONIGHT SHOW became the first network show in any time slot to go all-stereo.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Why can't I find this thing in stores? Nobody has it... Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders, etc. Even online sites like DVD Empire, DVD Planet, and Digital Eyes all say its out of stock/on order. That's pathetic. I don't want to have to order it online anyway, because it's a big pain having to replace it if the discs are loose in the case and get scratched up during shipment. That seems to happen with 1 out of every 3 tv box sets I buy, so I'd much rather get it from a local store. Guess it will be a couple weeks before I finally get this set. Sigh...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't their a rumor a while back that Amazing Stories was going to come to dvd??

Steven Gebs

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched about 10 episodes so far and am very pleased to say that the episodes have held up well. I was very young when they came out and was a little worried that they just wouldn't be the same, but my worry wasn't necessary!! The stories have been very entertaining and engaging.

I have to say it's funny to see the influence the 80's had on this show. The clothing, hairstyles, and even a bunch of episodes concerning nuclear holocaust.

The Shadow man character was creepy! Very nicely done.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just watched "A Message From Charity" and remembered what a great episode it was. After I watched it again with the commentary of with the writer and lead actress. Some interesting comments. The original Charity was supposedly an actress from a popular tv show who just also did a tv movie. I am thinking it could be Jo from Facts of Life or Mallory from Family Ties. But, who knows.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was going to pass this one up since I was focusing on the 1959 Definitive Edition. But in seeing this thread, I realized that there are 2 episodes that stuck with me as strongly as those from the Original series. These are Profiles In Silver and the Elvis episode from S2. I found Andrew Robinson's performance as Kennedy and the twist ending moving as the Elvis episode was too. I still recall at the end of the Elvis episode, there was a credit given to the Elvis Presley family estate thanking them for cooperation, IIRC. I might go for the S1 set now, mostly on the strength of Profiles in Silver.

Nelson

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Steve, Its funny you mentioned this. In the commentary for "A Message for Charity". They may a comment about if they would have done something in a scene it would have dated it and they were glad they didn't.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I won a copy of Halo 2 at the office Christmas party, so I was able to trade it in at Best Buy for a copy of Twilight Zone - so season 1 cost me a whole buck .09! What a deal!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to breaking open the set. Watched Shatterday and was very happy to discover a commentary by writer Harlan Ellison, Even though he's a bit pompous and full of himself, I really enjoy his writing. Twenty years or so ago back in college, I was reading a bunch of his books, including Shatterday. I was psyched when the 80's TZ debuted with it as it's first story.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio

Does he ever go into the debacle over the Nackles Christmas story that never happened and the reason why he left the show?

Andrew

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Not in Shatterday, maybe it will come up in another commentary. And no, he didn't rag on the producers, but he did give director Wes Craven a dig or two. He really loved the job Bruce Willis did, though!

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks