What's new

Excited to see the 80's Twilight Zone... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ooh, I had no idea this was scheduled for release. Very cool.

The episode I remember best was with the guy who could stop time. It ended with time frozen and a nuclear bomb stuck in mid-air!

That finale stuck with me for quite some time. ;)

Anthony Anderso

Auditioning
To me this 1980's set is the Holy Grail of TV-On-DVD. It is far superior to that UPN thing that aired a year or so ago.

The real question (and a dilemma) is how this series will now be presented on DVD. When the series was packaged up for syndication (and I don't mean TNT, that was much later) in 1988-89, they cut may episodes down to fit into a 22 minuted slot. However, they also expanded some episodes with existing excised footage to make them 2-parters (which could still be saddled with some short 7 min episodes as well). A case in point is "A Message From Charity" (one of my favorites) was expanded into a 2-parter.

So the question will be, will these be the original versions that aired on CBS-TV, or the expanded versions in the first syndication package? Or the original airings with the added footage as an extra? My guess is it will be cut-and-dry, the original aired versions.

Does MGM Television own both the original 2 seasons as well as the extra 50 episodes made to complete the syndication package in 1989-90?

I hope the entire run eventually comes out on DVD, even if the extra syndicated episodes that were created for the package were far less engaging (even if J. Michael Strazy (uh.. you know, that BABYLON 5 guy than previous efforts on CBS.

ToNy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

That is a great question. I hope all of the episodes are uncut. Even if that means they add stuff to the original airings.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait for this release...it's been on my most wanted list for several years now...I tried copying them off of tnt and transferring them to my hard drive awhile back but it just became too overwhelming a task so this really makes me happy;) already know someone is giving this to me for Christmas.

I was just looking at the season one list and see so many episodes which I love...especially "Monsters!", "Examination Day", "Button Button", "Wong's Lost and Found Emporium", "Nightcrawlers", and "Gramma" (this one gave me nightmares for years:)

Michael

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the producers of this package had to track down the stereo soundtracks to certain episodes. That they went to that trouble leads me to believe they're doing their best to present these as originally aired on CBS - uncut, with the original narrator (Charles Aidman).

We'll find out next Tuesday - and as I said on the other (TZ-Definitive Edition) thread, cash registers will be going "ka-ching" because of me that day.

(I'll be happy to retire the off-air Beta tapes from '85....)

Oh dear - read the message above regarding expansion of shows. I'd forgotten about that. Be nice to have both available, though if forced I'd side with the versions approved by the original production team. I remember stories of the running time being padded for syndication by "endless" reuse of footage of people running through a forest... that sort of thing.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Ditto, especially given the fact that my Beta machine no longer works! Although it still makes a handy paperweight.

Ric

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Just acquired the '59 Definitive and '85 TZ sets.

From the episode grouping, it looks like the original CBS airing is presented here. There are a couple things I have to check from old tapes & notes. I've had a chance to sample the opening of one or two shows, and I believe Charles Aidman's narration is present - so the original soundtracks are used.

Unfortunately, not all of the stereo tracks were located. Certain hours are indicated as mono. (If I'd gotten my Beta Hi-Fi a year earlier....)

Also this caveat: beware of rough handling in shipping. It was likely just the store I patronized, but all three copies I checked had drastic hidden damage to the plastic disc holders - as if they'd been drop-kicked from Chatsworth CA to here.

More later as warranted/needed.

Rutgar

Second Unit
I've been waiting for this set since TZ first came out on DVD.

"I of Newton"

My favorite of this series. I love the changing sayings on Ron Glass's T-Shirt.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Picked this up before the street date as well. After watching most of disc 1, I had to go straight to "Paladin of the Lost Hour", as I've heard it's wonderful. Well, the build up was worth it. It's as good as some of the best of the original series.

Edit: Just got through "Profile in Silver" and "Button, Button" as well. Wow!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dave, made a quick mention of this. But, are the extended scenes added for syndication on any of the episodes??

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

It's a shame that the UPN version was sorely lacking. I only watched about half the episodes but cannot recall anything that wasn't predictable or stood out among the pack (with the possible exception of the "It's a Good Life" sequel).

I cannot wait to get my hands on this today, I hope Target has them when I get there, as their prices looked the best.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

What freaked me out was how much Bill Mumy's daughter looks like him as a kid. :eek:

Steven Gebs

Stunt Coordinator
I have finally gotten my holy grail of DVD's!!!! I'm so glad they have decided to put this under-rated series onto the DVD medium.

I have been waiting for this series to come out for the longest time now. I just picked this set up at Best Buy for $50 today. Gonna watch a few episodes tonight. Paladin of the Last Hour is gonna be the first episode I watch, just because of all the positive hype it's been getting in here. It's been about 18 years since I've watched any of these, so I forget alot of the details. Most of them will be like new episodes for me. :) I hope they stand the test of time.

Is there a date for Season 2? I really hope these sell well so we get to see Season 2 hit DVD as well.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
March 29 '05 is, I believe, the scheduled date for a combined season 2/3 release of the '85-87 TZ. (That would be... the shortened 2nd season on CBS and the episodes produced directly for syndication.)

The shows I've sampled have all been as presented on CBS. No "extended syndication" versions.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

I think of this much the same way... except I have one other... Another 80's classic... Max Headroom!

Ric

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
While I'm delighted to have these on DVD, and they're certainly an upgrade from my old LP-speed VHS tapes, they still don't measure up to the quality I was expecting.

Sadly, these must be sourced from tape, even though the series was filmed. I supspect that post-production special effects were handled on tape, thus, this is the best we're ever likely to get.

I had trouble finding this at the local Sam Goody, and ended up grabbing the only copy that Best Buy had.

We watched "Night Of The Meek" and "The Star", two Christmas favorites of ours that we usually watch from the ancient VHS tapes.

The video was soft with a grainy look to it. Sharp edges had a little ghost-like after-image like a broadcast might, and the sound, though listed as stereo for those episodes, sounded more like mono to me. I'll have to check more closely, but I heard nothing substantial from my right, left, or surround speakers.

Glad to have it, but disappointed that it isn't better than it is.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I remember seeing a few of these episodes in the 80s and I was impressed. However, I'm confused as to how long each episode lasts. tvtome lists several episodes as being 10 minutes long. Some are 60 minutes. The first season has 59 episodes. Now I have what may be considered a dumb question, but I'm just curious (so as to compare the first season with a regular 25 minute (per episode) series...If the complete first season were to be divided into 25 minute chunks, how many 25 minute chunks would the first season consist of?

Rick P

Supporting Actor
It was orignally a ONE HOUR program, that could contain either a 60 minute 'story', 2 30's or a 50 and a 10, etc...

calling it 59 'episodes' is confusion to say the least, there were 59 'stories' of varying lengths (from 10 to 60 mintues).

when the third season came about, it went to direct syndication and was cut to 30 minutes. The earlier 60 minute shows were re-cut/re-edited to a 30 minute format (sometime causing a 'story' to be made into a two-parter).

look at the guide at www.epguides.com (a sample)

Code:

1. 1- 1 27 Sep 85 Shatterday
 2. 1- 2 27 Sep 85 A Little Peace and Quiet

3. 1- 3 4 Oct 85 Wordplay
 4. 1- 4 4 Oct 85 Dreams for Sale
 5. 1- 5 4 Oct 85 Chameleon

6. 1- 6 11 Oct 85 Healer
 7. 1- 7 11 Oct 85 Children's Zoo
 8. 1- 8 11 Oct 85 Kentucky Rye

9. 1- 9 18 Oct 85 Little Boy Lost
 10. 1-10 18 Oct 85 Wish Bank
 11. 1-11 18 Oct 85 Nightcrawlers

12. 1-12 25 Oct 85 If She Dies
 13. 1-13 25 Oct 85 Ye Gods

and see how they split out by broadcast date.

First Season: 59 STORIES, 24 EPISODES

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks