Excited about Jak II?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Peter Kim, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Haven't seen much buzz about the Jak & Daxter sequel in this forum. I quickly fell in love with the first game and subsequently will pick up Jak II when it's released next week, Oct. 14th (or will it be later in the week Thursday that we actually see it in the stores?).

I was surprised to find that it's listed for $39.99 at Amazon.com. If that's the retail price, that's great that Sony is releasing a premier title for less than $50. I found that Target will also sell Jak II for $39.99.

Or does this lower price portend a gloomy outlook by Sony on the game's reception, due to poor reviews? Has anyone seen any preliminary reviews?

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Okay, I scanned some other sites and found the following at IGN:

3. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

I'm definitely gonna pick this one up. It's so nice when developers go the extra distance and put 16:9 and 480p into a PS2 game.

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I admired the first Jak game because it held my attention long enough for me to actually finish the game. It was a solid, fun platformer. The boss battles were fun rather than frustrating (particularly the last boss, which was a pleasant surprise -- I am generally stopped 'dead in my tracks' with last-boss-battles).

I drew out the first game over a year. I'm not the sort to play for 6-20 hours straight upon purchase in a 'race to the game's finish line'.

I am worried about the up'd difficulty with JakII, but I suspect most hardcore gamers will welcome it. I just hate timed races and so-forth, and I've heard they're quite a doozy here. Crossing my fingers that Naughty Dog hasn't taken a page from Rare's book and turned the game's city into a numb and over-massive scavenger hunt...

s

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I got this as a gift for my fiance and I've ended up playing it more than she has(which is suprising considering I usually hate this style of 3d platformer). The difficulty is a welcome change and it keeps you on your toes. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous in progressive scan and Jak 2 is comparable even to the top Xbox and GC games. Some people have complained about the city but I think they're trying to make it out to be more than what it was designed for. I think it's just a nice little diversion to add scope and an epic sense to the game. Jak 2 also has good personality and I've been pretty amused a few times, especially during Daxter's drunken episode.

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Love this game so far...while more difficult, it's not overwhelming. This opinion coming from a casual gamer. There are some missions that at first blush appear monolithic in difficulty. But after breaking away for awhile and a good night's rest, I've been able to make steady progress.

The city's interactivity is up to the player - you can go around and fool around. Or you can dedicate yourself to the missions and charge forward in a straight path to the end.

I'm currently at 57% complete. In Jak & Daxter, I was able to find 100% of everything. In Jak II, I don't think there's a chance in hell I'll find all the doodads. But so far, I think there's less emphasis on the precursor eggs/etc. and more on completing missions.